cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop replacing start menu items

Stop replacing start menu items

FredSanford
Explorer | Level 3

I have a well-organized start menu in Windows 8.1. When I installed Dropbox, I moved the automatically-created program group from the start menu's top level into one of the sub-folders, according to the nature of the program. However, Dropbox periodically creates a new program group at the top level, replacing the items I moved. It's done this a few dozen times now, and I'm dog tired of it. This is the kind of thing an application should never do. As an alternative to uninstalling Dropbox, how can I make it stop?

5 Replies 5

Re: Stop replacing start menu items

Rich
Super User II
Dropbox will always update the folder each time the program is updated. This is expected anytime an application update is performed, for nearly any application.

There's nothing you can do within Dropbox to prevent this. You could try making the folder read-only, or removing your modify permissions to it, but you might just end up with two copies at that point; the one it couldn't update and a new one in its original location (this is speculation, test it for yourself).

FredSanford
Explorer | Level 3

The thing is, I have lots of programs that get updated all the time, but Dropbox is the only one that does the behavior I described.

Rich
Super User II
I have some apps that do it and others that don't. I'll move this thread to the feature requests area, but I seriously doubt Dropbox will ever change this behavior.

FredSanford
Explorer | Level 3

I appreciate you being helpful, but I'd have preferred to keep this where it was and create a new feature request myself, in case someone else had a solution at some point.

BorepYano
New member | Level 2

Between this kind of obnoxious behaviour and the 3 device limt on free accounts. I'm already starting to phase dropbox out on all my devices. If I hadn't left my previous place of employment, I would have regreted pushing for adopting dropbox over google drive.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?