Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Stop replacing start menu items

Explorer | Level 3

I have a well-organized start menu in Windows 8.1. When I installed Dropbox, I moved the automatically-created program group from the start menu's top level into one of the sub-folders, according to the nature of the program. However, Dropbox periodically creates a new program group at the top level, replacing the items I moved. It's done this a few dozen times now, and I'm dog tired of it. This is the kind of thing an application should never do. As an alternative to uninstalling Dropbox, how can I make it stop?

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Stop replacing start menu items

Super User II
Super User II
Dropbox will always update the folder each time the program is updated. This is expected anytime an application update is performed, for nearly any application.

There's nothing you can do within Dropbox to prevent this. You could try making the folder read-only, or removing your modify permissions to it, but you might just end up with two copies at that point; the one it couldn't update and a new one in its original location (this is speculation, test it for yourself).
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The thing is, I have lots of programs that get updated all the time, but Dropbox is the only one that does the behavior I described.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
I have some apps that do it and others that don't. I'll move this thread to the feature requests area, but I seriously doubt Dropbox will ever change this behavior.
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I appreciate you being helpful, but I'd have preferred to keep this where it was and create a new feature request myself, in case someone else had a solution at some point.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?