cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopped Free Trial and and now Dropbox is stuck at trying to update account

Stopped Free Trial and and now Dropbox is stuck at trying to update account

mode4
Helpful | Level 6

Hi.

I recently took an option of a free trial to Dropbox Professional. Very soon after commencing the trial I decided to downgrade back to the Basic account.  Ever since then, Dropbox is constantly hung at the updating Dropbox account on the Windows APP.  I have removed Dropbox and deleted all drobox folders on more than one occasion.  Doing this set everything working again and files sync to my PC no problem for a few hours.  Then it starts the updating Dropbox again and noting will sync. I have tried every suggestion I can find on multiple YouTube videos and in this community, but nothing seems to work.  Please Help

Drobox - Updating.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Stopped Free Trial and and now Dropbox is stuck at trying to update account

mode4
Helpful | Level 6

After several hours of not being touched I received a pop up that said my backup program was preventing drop box from accessing a folder. This is particularly interesting because the folder was not tagged for backup)  I managed to stop the process tree for my backup software and it seems to be working now.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @mode4; thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

In this case, I'd recommend unlinking and relinking your account through the app's preferences

If that doesn't improve matters, you can go ahead an try a clean, advanced re-install

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mode4
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter.  

Thank you for the reply.  

I cannot unlink the app because it says it is not linked to an account.  I have done a clean advanced re-install a few times.  This time I spotted a folder on my PC names from your team drobox.  I have deleted this folder (an all Drobox folders) and will try again.

As per previous times this starts perfectly fine and the app downloads all the files again an everything seems fine.  In past attempts a few hours later the app trying to update the account again. 

I will let you know if it does not happen this time. 

James

mode4
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Walter 

I turned on the laptop today and the problem is back.

The App is saying updating dropbox account again.

Any other suggestions? Is there something at Dropbox end that needs to be adjusted to stop the attempted updating of account.

mode4
Helpful | Level 6

After several hours of not being touched I received a pop up that said my backup program was preventing drop box from accessing a folder. This is particularly interesting because the folder was not tagged for backup)  I managed to stop the process tree for my backup software and it seems to be working now.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?