cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage completely taken up by Dropbox

Storage completely taken up by Dropbox

MikeO1966
Explorer | Level 3

When I installed Dropbox (Plus) it took up 181 GB of storage, now my PC has not available storage capacity and I cannot use it. What can I do?

5 Replies 5

Dropbox installation filled storage capacity

MikeO1966
Explorer | Level 3

When I Installed Dropox and set it to Smart Sync it took up 181 GB of storage, leaving my PC with 0 availability, so I cannot use it. What should I do?

Re: Storage completely taken up by Dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @MikeO1966, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Since you mentioned that you enabled Smart Sync for the files, do the files in the local Dropbox folder show the grey cloud sync icon instead of the green tick?

Also, if you right click the Dropbox folder and choose "Properties", can you send me a screenshot of the size shown there?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MikeO1966
Explorer | Level 3

MikeO1966_0-1615225952957.png

MikeO1966_1-1615225953034.png

MikeO1966_2-1615225953145.png

I could not find anywhere to upload this file so I just put it into the body. It shows the Dropbox properties, the Acer PC capacity situation (Full) and the size of the Dropbox folder (171 GB)

Walter
Dropboxer

Based on their syncing icons, the files and folders in your screenshot seem to be synced locally on your computer @MikeO1966.

Have you tried right clicking on them and setting them to be 'Online only' through the Smart Sync context menu? 

Alternatively, you can also use our selective sync feature which helps you make hard drive space by un-syncing any folders you don't want to be locally on your machine. 

Hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Surfdude2000
New member | Level 2

The only way I have found to clear the huge chunk of hard drive space that Dropbox always winds up using on my iPad is to completely delete the app and reinstall it. Dropbox was using 1.96GB of space, so I cleared the cache, but that only knocked it down to 1.92GB. Since the app is only 272.2MB, Dropbox is clearly storing a lot more dataon my iPad than what’s in the cache.

I would also disable the auto photo backup feature in the iPad > Dropbox app settings. I can see no reason to make backups of photos/videos on both iCloud and Dropbox, unless you work for a company that needs it for some reason.

Quick update: I just deleted and reinstalled the Dropbox app on my iPad and it’s back down to 275MB. 👍

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Surfdude2000 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer
    MikeO1966 Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?