cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing Dropbox folder in Apple Airport Time Capsule

Storing Dropbox folder in Apple Airport Time Capsule

山口敦史
New member | Level 1

When I use Apple Airport Time Capsule as dropbox folder storage for Mac, every time I start Mac, I have the error message "can not find dropbox folder". Then when I set the Time Capsule as the place, dropbox does not accept since there is "Dropbox" folder there, which is the old dropbox folder. So, every time, I should delete the old dropbox folder to set the Time Capsule as the dropbox storage. How do I fix the issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Storing Dropbox folder in Apple Airport Time Capsule

Rich
Super User II

Is there no fix for this?

Yes. Make sure your drive is available before Dropbox starts, otherwise Dropbox can't find the Dropbox folder and will have these problems.

And remember, it is highly not recommended to put Dropbox on and external drive. Under the right conditions (like what you're experiencing) data loss can occur.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Robert S.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

Dropbox don't support external drives due to a risk of data loss associated with such devices.

That said, you may find a kludge to make it work over at the Unofficial Dropbox Wiki.

http://www.dropboxwiki.com/

BUT, be aware that if or when it goes wrong, it's been done entirely at your own risk.

Rene H.5
New member | Level 1

Hello, the solution is simple. The problem is simple... Your dropbox wants to approach the timecapsule before it has connected to your mac.
You have 2 options when your mac can't find the folder. Stop dropbox and connect again. select; stop. Go to finder... connect your time capsule and look for the Dropbox program icon and click. Now he will find the right folder...

jack w.6
New member | Level 1

Hey, the same thing has happened to me. 

It all seems to be working fine, then when my computer restarts, it loses connection and logs me out. 

Its strange because I've used external drives as my dropbox location before. 

Rich
Super User II

Yes. Make sure your drive is available before Dropbox starts, otherwise Dropbox can't find the Dropbox folder and will have these problems.

And remember, it is highly not recommended to put Dropbox on and external drive. Under the right conditions (like what you're experiencing) data loss can occur.

View solution in original post

atrius
New member | Level 2

Data loss occurs when the application starts deleting fries from the remote server before it realizes it has in fact lost connection to the local folder. There is no sign of data loss in this case. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

atrius New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    jack w.6 New member | Level 1
    Rene H.5 New member | Level 1
    Robert S. Experienced Collaborator | Level 11
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?