cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Strange notification issue.

Helpful | Level 6

Noticed this shortly after upgrading to Dropbox version 101.4.434 on Windows 10 1909. Notifications of events such as someone removing or adding files and folders are delayed and are shown only when a new event occurs.

Example:

Person adds a file. No notification is received.
I add, remove, or change a file. The notification for the person adding a file is then received.

I checked for sync issues and everything is fine, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Did something get broken?

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Strange notification issue.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Stefen H. - thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Could you temporarily close any third party apps, like security and antivirus software, that could be hindering the proper function of the desktop app? 

Could you also let me know if you've tried rebooting your computer? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

Thanks  for the reply. Yes, I have tried restarting my computer. I'll try disabling antivirus when I can have someone help me test, but somehow I don't think that's the issue as I don't see anything in its logs about Dropbox being blocked. I am using ESET NOD32 Antivirus though for reference. Really hoping this isn't a Windows issue.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

All righty! Was able to do a test finally, and can confirm that this happens with my antivirus disabled. The event shos on dropbox.com/events, which tells me that things are otherwise working as they should. It's just the notification isn't being sent to the Windows action center until the next event for whatever reason. I should also note that the notification that comes up when copying a link works as it should as well, so this seems to be limited to file changes only. I haven't tested it with comments or anything like that.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information, @Stefen H. 

Just to clarify, could you let me know if the changes get synced and the notification arrives after some delay, or do the changes get synced once there is another action taken?

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

Changes are indeed synced right away, and the system tray icon does change when syncing occurs. It's only the notification that gets delayed until the next event.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have the same problem. it started with the windows10 focus assistant update and I have the problem on my laptop and on my pc. I made sure that the focus assistant is disabled on my devices, but I still have this lag in my notifications now. I don't know what causes it. first I thought it was an issue with full screen apps but but happens even if nothing else is running. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Does that happen to anything other than Dropbox? I've only noticed it with Dropbox after it upgraded itself. All other Windows notifications work fine.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for nudging me back, peeps. 

Could you let me know if you've tried a simple reinstall of the desktop app (101.4.434)? Maybe that will do the trick.

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

haha. I was hoping not to do this, since reindexing is such a pain.

Tried a simple reinstall. Notifications of events are still delayed. Syncing still works fine and events are still updated normally on dropbox.com/events.

I doubt an advanced reinstall will fix it either. Since things otherwise work fine, I'm tempted to simply wait for a new stable version to come out and see if the issue gets resolved that way. Since at least one other person has said they have this issue, it can't just be my machine. Curious as to what broke under the hood though.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?