cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stripped Down Dropbox Desktop App for the NON power user

Stripped Down Dropbox Desktop App for the NON power user

PyanfarHani
Explorer | Level 4

Are there any plans for Dropbox to split the app for the non-power user, or provide a features opt-out when installed? The latest Windows 10 version installed last week (114.4.42) DOUBLED the memory use at reboot and added a 3rd qtwebengineprocess. After a few hours, the memory use has only gone up until it's QUADRUPLE what the app needed before.

Not even including the QTWeb processes, Dropbox is using more memory than any other program on my computer, including Photoshop or a browser with a dozen tabs open.

The QTweb processes I have to kill manually; they give me no functionality for the memory they consume - the same amount of memory my virus protection uses, for comparison. 

All for features that are useless for a single user independent contractor who just wants to back up portions of a hard drive, and every so often shares a folder with a family member.

I've been a user almost since Day 1. My needs haven't changed. The memory bloat and no way to strip out unneeded features is killing the app for me. 

1 Reply 1

Re: Stripped Down Dropbox Desktop App for the NON power user

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @PyanfarHani, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Out of curiosity, are you finding that you continue to experience high CPU usage if you close any other third party apps, like security software and antivirus?

Also, although you may have already done this, could you have a look through this article that mentions a few ways to tackle this issue?

Give me a nudge whenever you have a moment to check this out, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?