cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with CPU usage on DropBox v3?

Struggling with CPU usage on DropBox v3?

Nigel W.
New member | Level 1

Intel Atom desktops don't like playing ball with the 'metadata' process of Dropbox v3. To alleviate the pain, but still allow the process to happen, I simply put limits on how much CPU Dropbox could hoover up.

sudo apt-get install cpulimit
(yes to everything)

cpulimit -e dropbox -l 20

Now, while I leave cpulimit running (I could background it), dropbox can only claim 20% of my machine's CPU's.

One much happier Intel Atom user...

5 Replies 5

Re: Struggling with CPU usage on DropBox v3?

Aisling G.
Dropboxer

Hi Nigel! Thanks for letting us know about your fix. We've definitely seen this problem for a few people, so it's really useful to see how you solved it.

Just as some background info, after updating to the latest version, Dropbox will perform a one time process for the latest version of the Dropbox application, which is the heavy usage you saw. Its duration and resource utilization depend on the number of files that you have synced to your device.

This means that if you have a large number of files, you may see heightened resource usage from the application, even after normal file sync is completed. The process is designed to give priority to your normal Dropbox sync functionality, so the duration of this process might be extended during periods of heavy Dropbox usage. After this, the CPU usage should be back to normal.

Pierce R.
New member | Level 2

Several hours of high CPU usage while indexing metadata seems kind of a waste of time. Suggestion: get rid of this feature. I'm sticking with 2.52 as long as possible so that I don't have to worry about deal with all this.

Colin C.1
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion Nigel, brilliant!

Geert D.
New member | Level 1

I already run v3 for weeks and still my DropBox CPU usage is 25%! What is happening?
Quite unacceptable, imo.

Amandeep R.
New member | Level 1

This is the reason auto update sucks. After this is settled I am turning of auto update on Dropbox. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amandeep R. New member | Level 1
    Geert D. New member | Level 1
    Colin C.1 New member | Level 1
    Pierce R. New member | Level 2
    Aisling G. Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?