cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on checking for changes

Stuck on checking for changes

galaxy-eyed
New member | Level 2

Hey all, I'm running Dropbox 79.4.143. I haven't been able to get Drobox to sync my files since about mid-June. I have both many files and large files which in the past has slowed it down, but usually it at least says updating. It hasn't gotten past "checking for changes" for at least a few days (I didn't notice it wasn't syncing until recently). It's definitely working (%CPU > 100 usually), but status still hasn't changed, and I'm not sure what to do next. Also, I don't have any symlinks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Stuck on checking for changes

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @doodle413, sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this. 

In order to further investigate this, I've sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @galaxy-eyed

First off, thanks for confirming that you're running the latest version of the desktop app, definitely narrows down our investigation. 

Since you mention that:

@galaxy-eyed wrote:

I have both many files and large files which in the past has slowed it down

I'd recommend checking that you don't have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer. Although this is a soft limit, the performance of the desktop app can decline after reaching about 300,000 filesOne way you can speed the syncing process up is by using selective sync.

If you're still having trouble with this even after reducing the number of files, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

doodle413
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem, which started a few days ago when I was trying to use selective sync to make some additional files online only to free up space on my crowded hard drive.  Now it's stuck on checking for changes.  I've restarted dropbox and the computer (running mac os10.11) several times - and when it restarts it requests to change permissions.  No luck whether I say ok or say cancel to that request - and I think when I said ok it messed up all my computer's permissions so I had to reset all those.  I have unlinked and relinked my computer to dropbox, still no progress beyond the checking for changes message.  Hovering overthe icon shows "Dropbox  79.4.143", "Checking for changes...", and "syncing...".  I have about 100,000 files, mix of large and small.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @doodle413, sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this. 

In order to further investigate this, I've sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Omar L.1
New member | Level 2

It looks as if I'm having the same issue as well.  Exactly as you describe it, it just happened after the latest update (November 2019).  Very frustrating as this is the second time that DropBox stops working.   Admittedly, I have many files (between 2 and 3 millions), but hey, it's DropBox who is making me pay for 2 TB/year.  If the working limit is 300,000 files then this is sefl-defeating.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Omar L.1, thanks for checking in with us. 

The 300,000 file limit is a soft limit, which means that, although some users may be able to sync more, it heavily depends on the OS and hardware specifications of the device. 

Could you please confirm for me though what you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Omar L.1 New member | Level 2
    doodle413 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?