Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Stuck on "Connecting"

Helpful | Level 5

I have been using the Dropbox app for months in the present configuration without any problem, but on Friday after restarting my computer the Dropbox app has been stuck on "Connecting".

I have set the Proxies settings as "no proxy" and made sure my mac settings were not set as "auto discover proxies."

I also fully uninstalled Avast in case it was blocking the connection, restarted the Dropbox app and the compter a few times. Nothing seems to change the app's behavior.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Stuck on "Connecting"

Helpful | Level 5

Good news. Hope this helps others, but saw a post where they renamed their Drop Box folder on their MAC (might work on WIN too).

I then restarted the Drop Box application (after signing back in) and it asked me if wanted to redownload my files since it couldn't find my files on my MAC. Currently I'm resyncing my files to my MAC and recieving notifications again.

Yea!

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi 13milliseconds, welcome to Dropbox Community!

First, we need to make sure that you have updated the latest version of the Dropbox desktop app.

A screenshot of the error message here (omitting any personal information) would be very helpful to have a better image of why this is happening.

Additionally, in case there are any Symlinks interfering with your Dropbox , what you can do to remove them is follow specifically step 7 of the Help Center Article provided and follow the instructions depending on the operating System you are on.

Let me know if this helps!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

@Norah wrote:
First, we need to make sure that you have updated the latest version of the Dropbox desktop app. 

Hello, @13milliseconds...

In order to find what version of the Desktop Client that you're using, please hover mouse over the Dropbox icon.  Let us know which version you have so that @Norah can alleviate it as a possible cause.

As @Norah suggested, be sure that you have the newest stable build (offline installer) vs any beta versions that are available (eg: v48.3.57).  After installing it, please restart your computer.  Be certain that you use the same Dropbox login credentials when you sign-in to the Desktop Client.

PLEASE NOTE:  To prevent from receiving early releases of the beta versions of the Desktop Client... login to your Dropbox General page, scroll downward to the "Early Release" section and make sure that it's OFF (view screenshot below).

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you both for your input.

The version installed is the latest stable version, 48.4.58.

Here are two screenshots:

- the first one is the screen Dropbox is stuck at

- The second one is what hapenned when I clicked on the button to unlink my account (I thought maybe that would provoke a change of state.) It just made Dropbox completely crash and didn't unlink the account

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 12.38.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-30 at 12.43.46 PM.png

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Having the exact same issue, figured I would tag along in this since I've been emailing Drop Box support for over a week now and haven't gotten anywhere... except for them to tell me to try a solution I already told them I tired before contacting them (tried to solve this issue from their help center).

Ticket Number: 7849905.
Highlighted

Super User
Super User

@DolphInNoWork wrote:
Ticket Number: 7849905.

Hello, @DolphInNoWork...

Thank you for posting your ticket number.

I will tap @Norah on the shoulder and show it to her so she can dig deeper into your situation.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Good news. Hope this helps others, but saw a post where they renamed their Drop Box folder on their MAC (might work on WIN too).

I then restarted the Drop Box application (after signing back in) and it asked me if wanted to redownload my files since it couldn't find my files on my MAC. Currently I'm resyncing my files to my MAC and recieving notifications again.

Yea!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

@DolphInNoWork wrote:

Currently I'm resyncing my files to my MAC and recieving notifications again.

Hello, @DolphInNoWork...

Super.

Thank you for posting your progress.  Please be sure to let us know if all of your files synced correctly (up to date).

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for posting this!

It did work for me as well, although the syncing process is gonna take a while (I have about 600GB on the Dropbox )

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Everything sync'ed back and is up to date...

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?