cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly Dorpbox can no longer be started

Suddenly Dorpbox can no longer be started

BrunoMucha
Explorer | Level 3

Please help Win 10:
Suddenly Dorpbox can no longer be started: The following error message appears: Program could not be found. Even if I click on the Dropbox.exe itself. - The Dropbox service is running (Task-Manager).
Reinstalling doesn't help. Uninstalling is not possible: is canceled with "Dropbox failed to uninstall".

7 Replies 7

Re: Suddenly Dorpbox can no longer be started

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @BrunoMucha, thanks for checking in with us. 

Just to make sure I have a better understanding of your concern, could you clarify if you tried uninstalling the desktop app after making sure that there are no Dropbox-related processes in your Task Manager? 

If there are some, please make sure to select End process for them and try uninstalling it again. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BrunoMucha
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Lusll,
what I did:
My first trie: Re-Install Dropbox - without error but without success.

Second: Uninstall Dropbox - Error: Dropbox failed to uninstall

Third: I ended all the "Dropbox-Tasks" (that I recognized as such in task-manager) then Uninstall Dropbox, but same error: Dropbox failed to uninstall

I think the problem comes from DropboxExt64.37.0.dll . Because I am not able to delete this out of the client folder, even if all Dropbox-Tasks (that I recognize as such) are ended.

Best Regards Bruno

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @BrunoMucha

Could you also try out an advanced reinstall? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Please bear in mind though that if you're on a Basic (free) account, there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BrunoMucha
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Lusil,
I get the same error-message: Dropbox failed to uninstall
BR Bruno

Lusil
Dropboxer

If you're still getting the same experience even after the advanced reinstall, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the exact error message, just to get a better visual of this? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you, @BrunoMucha!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

BrunoMucha
Explorer | Level 3

The point is: The Advanced installation requires as first steps the uninstallation, thus I got the same problem.

I restored the Windows System at restore point 1st of June. After that I was able to re-install dropbox again. With the big dissadvantage that I had to re-install MS Edge and Google Chrome (dont ask me why) and dropbox ist still busy to synchronize appr. 25 GByte. But it works again.
Thank you Bruno

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @BrunoMucha, and awesome work on the troubleshooting!

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end, but if anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?