cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Switching Desktop Client from a PC to an iMAC: Instructions Please

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My PC is about to fail.  So, I just bought an iMAC.  I want to move my desktop client from the PC to the iMAC.  After successfully doing so, I plan to junk the PC.  I need step by step instructions on how to do this without trouble.

Over the past few years, I bought an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook Pro.  My last connection to the 'PC World' is my Lenovo laptop where my Dropbox Desktop client resides.  I like the 'Apple' environment, and, now that my Lenovo laptop is about to fail, I want to move my desktop client to my new iMac.  Help!  Any and all guidance would be appreciate.  Please note that while I have had a Dropbox account for four years, I know nothing about the 'back-end' of Dropbox.  So, please provide detailed instructions.

Thanks,

Bahia2000

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Switching Desktop Client from a PC to an iMAC: Instructions Please

Super User II
Super User II

All you need to do is download and install the Dropbox client and log in using the same email address and password you used for Dropbox on your PC. Once installed, it will automatically download all of the files in your account.

Before you junk the PC, make sure Dropbox is fully synced (green check mark) so that you know all of your files are in your account. Then, make sure you uninstall Dropbox from the PC and delete the Dropbox folder containing your data (along with any other personal data on the computer), so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

All you need to do is download and install the Dropbox client and log in using the same email address and password you used for Dropbox on your PC. Once installed, it will automatically download all of the files in your account.

Before you junk the PC, make sure Dropbox is fully synced (green check mark) so that you know all of your files are in your account. Then, make sure you uninstall Dropbox from the PC and delete the Dropbox folder containing your data (along with any other personal data on the computer), so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Rich,

Thank you for the quick and helpful reply!

Bahia2000

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

use terrarium tv pc which you can use both mac and pc with no problem.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?