cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching account on desktop dropbox app (MacOS)

Switching account on desktop dropbox app (MacOS)

iherman
Helpful | Level 5

I am testing the dropbox app on MacOS. In my preferences I see my private and my work accounts (they are both usable without problems from my finder). However, the app comes up with my private account and I do not see any way of switching to my work account. 

The help on Dropbox refers to an email address on the lower left hand corner that should be clicked on to get it changed, but there is no email address on my window...

Anybody knows how to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Switching account on desktop dropbox app (MacOS)

iherman
Helpful | Level 5

Oops, sorry, I should have reported. Well... it got solved, but I do not know exactly how 😞 At some point I re booted up my machine in the morning, and it worked. (I did reboot earlier with no effect!)

The only (vague) suspicion I have is as follows: before rebooting I made a system update on my iPhone and iPad, which means that I had to reconnect (i.e., new sign in) to dropbox via my IOS dropbox applications. That re-sign may have triggered something on my account on the dropbox server that made the issue go away.

The reason I think this may have helped is as follows:  I had contact with some (very helpful) Dropbox people, who proposed me to sign off on my Mac and reconnect with Dropbox again. I did not do that, but the iPhone/iPad reconnect may have had a similar effect.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Elixir
Super User

Hello @iherman, Are you seeing something different from this? 

2019-09-29 at 3.11 PM.png

iherman
Helpful | Level 5

Yes. The difference is that the lower hand option does not appear:

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 09.41.09.png

Elixir
Super User

By any chance is there option to switch between Personal/Business accounts from the menubar? 

2019-09-29 at 3.46 PM.png

iherman
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, that menubar dropdown is there and yes, I can change from my private to the work account and back. But that does not seem to affect the desktop app (I have made a quit and restart after having changed the account on the dropdown).

😞

Mark
Super User II

Which version are you using @iherman ?

I had this on some earlier ones so maybe an update would work: www.dropbox.com/downloading

Also, I actually found a quick reboot worked well!

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

iherman
Helpful | Level 5

I re-downloaded the app yesterday and, after switching off my machine for the night, I have just restarted it... with no difference.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @iherman

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

At first, awesome work on the troubleshooting with @Elixir and @Mark

Due to account-specific info that may be needed to further investigate this behavior from this point on, I've sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello there @iherman,

Just wanted to follow up here and see if you were able to resolve the issue you were having. If you did, would you mind sharing with us here the steps that you took to do this?

We'll be looking forward to your update - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

iherman
Helpful | Level 5

Oops, sorry, I should have reported. Well... it got solved, but I do not know exactly how 😞 At some point I re booted up my machine in the morning, and it worked. (I did reboot earlier with no effect!)

The only (vague) suspicion I have is as follows: before rebooting I made a system update on my iPhone and iPad, which means that I had to reconnect (i.e., new sign in) to dropbox via my IOS dropbox applications. That re-sign may have triggered something on my account on the dropbox server that made the issue go away.

The reason I think this may have helped is as follows:  I had contact with some (very helpful) Dropbox people, who proposed me to sign off on my Mac and reconnect with Dropbox again. I did not do that, but the iPhone/iPad reconnect may have had a similar effect.

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?