cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Annotated PDFs no longer works (2021 Dropbox - Android, Xodo, Adobe etc)

Sync Annotated PDFs no longer works (2021 Dropbox - Android, Xodo, Adobe etc)

lukasecho
Explorer | Level 4

For years, I have been annotating PDFs (saved in Dropbox) on my (Samsung) Android tablet using various apps: XODO, Adobe Reader etc.  It has generally worked well. From 2018-2020 this worked. The PDFs would automatically save and sync to the cloud without a problem. (Well at least mostly.. ie sometimes this would create duplicates, or sometimes fail to sync, but mostly it worked). 

In late 2020, it started to fail all the time. And now the annotated PDFs just never seem to sync at all.  I tried logging out of dropbox restarting the Android tablet and then reconnecting to the Dropbox account, but this doesn't seem to help. Sometimes restarting the tablet will enable it to sync one or two files, but in general it says "saved" but will not actually upload the annotated PDF.

Dropbox claim the fault is with the PDF viewer-app, but then why does it happen with ALL the apps I have tried?

Similarly, my wife has the same issue with her iPad: especially if you open the PDF from the Dropbox App itself. On the iPad this seems to be related to the "Preview Pane" in the Dropbox app. Its almost as though the Preview Pane LOCKS the file as "in use" preventing any save-functions from other files. 

But on Android, I don't get the preview pane, so this doesn't seem to be the issue. Has anyone found a PDF viewer that works with the current 2021 version of Dropbox on Android?

2 Replies 2

Re: Sync Annotated PDFs no longer works (2021 Dropbox - Android, Xodo, Adobe etc)

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @lukasecho, thanks for reaching out!

Have you tried uninstalling the Dropbox app, restarting the device and then reinstalling it, to see if that helps?

Also, disconnecting the third party app from your Dropbox account and then reconnecting it might help as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Sync Annotated PDFs no longer works (2021 Dropbox - Android, Xodo, Adobe etc)

LILICAROIS
Explorer | Level 3
I'm having the exact same problem right now. I've done all the procedures indicated by support. Dropbox doesn't save anything, I've tried all the apps listed. Sometimes it saves some markup, then it doesn't save anymore.
I did the xodo test with autosave to another cloud. It worked out! I think the problem is even in the latest version of Dropbox.
Any other solutions for this problem?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LILICAROIS Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?