cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync application silently stops syncing.

Sync application silently stops syncing.

jdibling
Explorer | Level 4

I'm the sysadmin for my entire company.  Everybody has a Windows 10 laptop with Dropbox installed.

I have noticed that sometimes the sync app will just die siltently.  There is no crash report.  There is no external indication that Dropbox has stopped working.  It just stops.

I have seen this happen across the entire organization.  I don't think there is a single user who has not encountered this at least once, and some people see it happen quite frequently.

We are 100% remote.  There is no central office.  Everybody works from thier homes, with internet connections that vary from excellent (100 MBs) to somewhat poor (6 MBs).

When this happens I have seen two different symptoms.  In one case the Dropbox icon is still present in the system tray, with no green check, no red X, and no blue syncing icon.  Just the Dropbox logo.  If I hover over the logo, the tooltip says "22.3.22 Connecting"  After an indeterminate period of time, it may reconnect again.  This scenario is fairly rare.

Much more often, the Dropbox icon will just be completely gone from the system tray.  In this case, there will not be any green checkmarks on the files under Dropbox control.  There is never any kind of error message letting the user know that Dropbox had stopped.

We are a small business that is completely and entirely dependant upon our data.  Dropbox is right at the center of our organization, and it plays a critical role in our ability to succeed.  So as you might imagine, this is causing a great deal of trouble for our organization.  Any help anyone could provide is most welcomed!

10 Replies 10

Re: Sync application silently stops syncing.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey jdibling

Thank you very much for the very detailed description, much appreciated!

Because you mention that you are currently running a Beta version of the Dropbox application, could you please downgrade to the latest stable build and see if this issue persists? 

Moreover, can you let me know whether this happens only on your device or on other users' devices as well? If the latter is the case, maybe you will have to advise all to download the latest stable version of the application as well. 

If this persists, please let me know in your reply, it'll be a pleasure to follow-up!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jdibling
Explorer | Level 4

Jane, thanks very much for the reply.

Yes, I am seeing this happen on many different machines across the entire organization.  Only I had the beta version installed.  I was testing new features before rolling them out.  Everyone else has the latest stable installed.

The most frequent problem I'm seeing is the dropbox icon completely disappearing from the system tray.  I wanted to point that out because I also have a ticket open with support, who was quick to blame my internet connection or "some other software" for the problem when I mentioned that, rarely, I see the dropbox icon still present with a "Connecting" tooltip.  But that instance is rare.  90% of the time, the dropbox icon is completely gone, having clearly crashed at some point.

Jane, is there a way to enable diagnostics logging in the dropbox application?  I can't simply roll out an install to the entire organization without causing great disruption to our business, but I can enable diagnostics logging on a few key, troublesome machines.

Thanks!

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey jdibling

Thanks for the swift reply!

Because you mention that this is an issue that affects more than one users in your organization, I 'd be glad to follow-up on that. Can you please reply to me with the ticket ID, so that I have a look into the issue? 

Awaiting your reply, in order to assist you more!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

jdibling
Explorer | Level 4
Jane, thanks so much for your quick response and your offer to help.

Here is my ticket number, according to the emails I'm getting:

Ticket #5635886: TEAMS: Dropbox Sync App Frequently Stops Silently

Thanks!

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey jdibling

Thanks for the follow-up!

We can see our colleague has reached back out to you and requested more information. Can you please check your email inbox for their reply and let us know if you're unable to locate it? 

Hope this gets resolved soon!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

rosenbergbd
New member | Level 2

Hi @JaneA,

Is there any resolution for this issue? I am not in jdibling's organization, but have been seeing the same issues.

If there's a resolution for this, can it be shared with the community?

Thanks

rosenbergbd

jdibling
Explorer | Level 4

Hey, @rosenbergbd,

So far we have not seen any kind of resolution.

Dropbox support has not acknowledged any kind of known issue or bug in thier application, and has suggested that I reinstall the application on impacted machines.  This is, of course, impossible since we're talking about many machines scattered all over the country.  It's also unlikely to fix the problem.  I have been told that there are no diagnostic logs that Dropbox can pull from the machines, suggesting that there's no way for Dropbox to actually identify the problem.

At this point I've pretty much given up on getting any kind of help or support from Dropbox, aside from the implication that this behavior is somehow our fault.  When our contract comes due, we'll switch to Box.

Best of luck to you.  If you happen to identify a solution, either on your own or with Dropbox's help, could you please update this thread?

Thanks,

oudzeikwijf
Explorer | Level 4

I have exactly the same problem for years now.   I pay $10 a month for a device that never works as it should.  The worse thing is that whenever you have a problem that needs immediate action, nobody's there. Awful service.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @oudzeikwijf

Sorry to hear that Dropbox doesn't work as expected for you!

I'd be glad to send over some steps to follow. Would you mind sharing more details regarding the case in your reply, so that I troubleshoot this with you? For instance, have you noticed any strange behavior? 

Thanks in advance, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

oudzeikwijf Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropboxer
    jdibling Explorer | Level 4
    rosenbergbd New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?