cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync dropbox to new harddisk

Sync dropbox to new harddisk

jenspanduro
New member | Level 2

Hi There. I have upgraded my account to more space and as I am running my dropbox on an external harddisk and not internal I have changed my external harddisk to a bigger one. I have copied my old harddisk to my new one. Now I need to connect this new harddisk to my account. How do I do that? Jens

1 Reply 1

Re: Sync dropbox to new harddisk

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @jenspanduro,

Firstly, I’d just like to mention that an external hard drive is not a supported location for the Dropbox desktop app due to certain risks and potential data loss as mentioned in our Help Center article here

That being said, to link the desktop app to a new copy of the Dropbox folder, I would suggest to first unlink the desktop app from your account. When you launch the app again, you will be prompted to sign into your account. After signing into your account and choosing how to sync your files, you will see an option for “Advanced settings”.

From the advanced settings you will be able to choose the current location of the Dropbox folder, but please ensure to choose the parent folder where the Dropbox folder is located. For example choose C:\Folder rather than C:\Folder\Dropbox.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?