cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync not working on Windows 10

Sync not working on Windows 10

bharveyct
Explorer | Level 3

I'm unable to sync files on my Windows 10 laptop to DropBox.  The client is stuck synchronizing and it doesn't show any files in it the queue that its synchronizing.  I tried doing a selective sync, but when I go into the folders list it says "Unable to connect".   

I contacted my IT since its work laptop and they antivirus software is not blocking any of the URLs.  

I uninstalled dropbox client, even using the advanced article which removes the folders from Program Files, local data and app data folders.  I even used a new DropBox folder and removed the dropbox cache file and folder. 

I can get to the site just fine too.

Are there other logs I can check regarding the dropbox client?   Or anything else I can check?

DropBox version is v105.3.309, though I tried with v104.x before upgrading.

Windows 10 is 2004, though this occurred with 1909.

14 Replies 14

Re: Sync not working on Windows 10

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @bharveyct, thanks for posting today!

Thanks for the details. Could you try the steps in this article to see if they help?

It does sound like there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

additionally, is the Dropbox desktop application installed with admin permissions?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bharveyct
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, the client was installed as an admin.

Firewall/Antivirus is not blocking the ips.

I checked on the proxy settings and i'm not using a proxy.  

Jay
Dropboxer

Do any other devices on your network have the same issue? Is it possible to connect another computer or laptop to the same connection to see if the issue is duplicated there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bharveyct
Explorer | Level 3

I just tried a Windows Server 2016 machine and it works.   The machine is actually a virtual machine on the affected laptop, so they are sharing the same internet connection.

bharveyct
Explorer | Level 3

Also, which might be closer to the issue, when I use my USB-C to ethernet adapter, I get a "Your computer is currently offline.  Please check your network settings.", when I'm connected without any issue.

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the updates, it does seem to be related to the configuration on the laptop in question, perhaps some software isn't connecting the network correctly, or some security software deeming the connection 'unsafe', and blocking it for the Dropbox app. 

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

bharveyct
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, I think it may be related to time not being able to sync online.

bharveyct
Explorer | Level 3

No luck.  Windows Time sync is fine.  The Drop Box client just says its syncing, and it has for hours, and the only files that come through is .dropbox and the .dropbox.cache folder.  Nothing else.  This is Windows 10 2004

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @bharveyct; thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Could you try the following steps and let us know if they improve matters at all?

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray and then click your profile picture or initials

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'alt+H' keys

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1 to 5, but at step 6, click on the “Fix Permissions” button.

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over. If you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass and let me know if syncing becomes stuck again.

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?