cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync vs Backup

Sync vs Backup

Randy_Austill
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Suppose I want to backup the Documents folder on my old computer, partly for backup, and partly so I can reference items in on my new computer. What's the difference between using Backup vs Sync for this folder? Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Randy_Austill,

At the beginning Dropbox is a sync service, so "Backup" is... backup in quotes 😃. Dropbox application keeps in sync everything within Dropbox folder and nothing outside. That's why if you want to sync something, it should get moved into Dropbox folder. So called "Backup" helps you with automation of this process. There are some additional system settings, get set behind you, because special folders are on focus and folders are moved. That's all, nothing else.

I would advise you, if you want to sync something, better sync it "by hand", so unexpected results are less likely. 😉

Hope this clarifies matter.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Randy_Austill,

At the beginning Dropbox is a sync service, so "Backup" is... backup in quotes 😃. Dropbox application keeps in sync everything within Dropbox folder and nothing outside. That's why if you want to sync something, it should get moved into Dropbox folder. So called "Backup" helps you with automation of this process. There are some additional system settings, get set behind you, because special folders are on focus and folders are moved. That's all, nothing else.

I would advise you, if you want to sync something, better sync it "by hand", so unexpected results are less likely. 😉

Hope this clarifies matter.

Randy_Austill
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you, 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Randy_Austill Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?