cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync vs backup?

logr
New member | Level 2

I just saw this new features on dropbox for backup -- it sounds exacly like the sync functionality. Am I missing something? 

1 Reply 1

Re: Sync vs backup?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @logr; welcome to the Dropbox Community and happy Monday!

On one hand, sync, being one of our desktop app's core features, keeps your files up-to-date across your computers, phones, and tablets. If you edit a document within your Dropbox Folder on your computer, it syncs with Dropbox and you can access the new version from your phone and our website. 

Computer backup , on the other hand, lets you back up certain key folders on your computer, such as “Desktop”, “Documents”, and “Downloads”, to Dropbox. Any changes you make to those folders on your computer or in Dropbox will continuously sync to both.

None of those backed up folders will take up any additional space on your computer while anything you delete from them or dropbox.com will be deleted from both your computer and Dropbox. 

I hope this clarifies matters a bit further and I'm always around for any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?