cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sync without using the Dropbox folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear Dropbox team,

I have two harddisks on my PC (C Drive and D Drive), and I have stored most of my data files on the latter.

I would like to ask whether it is possible to Sync my data files on my D Drive directly with Dropbox, without putting those files in the Dropbox folder first.  If the answer is yes, whether I have to sync the whole D Drive, or may I select which folders in my D Drive to Sync and/or not-to-Sync?

I am currently a free account user, but I am happy to be a paid user if the aforesaid functions are available.

Thanks and regards,

Jamarson.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Sync without using the Dropbox folder

Super User
Super User

Hi @Jamarson, Dropbox desktop app can only sync the files and folder that you put inside the Dropbox folder. However, you can move your Dropbox folder from its default location to the D drive, and move your data inside the Dropbox folder there. In that way it would not take up space in your C drive. I imagine, your D drive is an internal hard drive in your PC, so there should not be any issues. If your D drive is an external drive, you have to be careful - https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder 

You can find the settings for moving Dropbox location in the Preferences. Click the Dropbox icon in the taskbar tray area > click the gear icon > choose Preferences

Untitled.png

Next go to Sync tab, and click the Move button, and select your D drive location. 

Capture.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Hi @Jamarson, Dropbox desktop app can only sync the files and folder that you put inside the Dropbox folder. However, you can move your Dropbox folder from its default location to the D drive, and move your data inside the Dropbox folder there. In that way it would not take up space in your C drive. I imagine, your D drive is an internal hard drive in your PC, so there should not be any issues. If your D drive is an external drive, you have to be careful - https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder 

You can find the settings for moving Dropbox location in the Preferences. Click the Dropbox icon in the taskbar tray area > click the gear icon > choose Preferences

Untitled.png

Next go to Sync tab, and click the Move button, and select your D drive location. 

Capture.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Many thanks for your prompt response.  

It is very helpful.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?