cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synch of Apple Mac "Package" files

Synch of Apple Mac "Package" files

davesomers
Explorer | Level 3

I'm considering having Dropbox hold my iPhoto library, which is a 200GB "package" containing thousands of files.  

When I add a few photos, the "package" changes, but really it's just 100MB of new files being added and a few small index files changing.

After the initial upload (which will take days and use up my ISP data limit for the month), will Dropbox be able to sync the smaller deltas within?  Or will it be syncing the whole 200GB each time I edit a photo?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Synch of Apple Mac "Package" files

Jay
Dropboxer

Only the little parts in the package will be changed, just like a delta sync.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Dave, we don’t recommend moving your iPhoto library into your Dropbox folder.

This is because each photo in your library will create a symlink, and will degrade the performance of the Dropbox desktop application, so it uses more RAM/CPU, and could result in endless syncing, even deleted files.

We’ve had experiences with other users doing the same thing, and the only solution to stop this behavior was to move the iPhoto library out of the folder again.

To answer your question, it would always sync the changes, since the package itself makes minor changes, the delta sync would take place.

I hope this helps clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

davesomers
Explorer | Level 3

I still don't understand what Dropbox would detect as the delta.  Is it the whole package, or the files within it that changed?

Thanks for your recommendation for iPhoto - I will implement a hardware solution instead.

But for other package types ... 

Jay
Dropboxer

Technically, a package file can be seen as a container for a folder containing more files and subfolders. If you view an iPhoto library package file on a Windows machine, you don’t see the file, but a folder with all the files inside it.

Therefore, amending the ‘package’ file on the Mac, by adding an image or two via iPhoto, would add the files in the container (namely, adding them to the internal file structure). It would look like a delta sync to you however.

Even .numbers, .keynote and .pages files can be package files, so the same thing applies to them. You would see it as a delta sync, since there’s only ‘one’ file to sync. For the Dropbox site, it would be adding new data to the internal structure, thus only performing a normal sync of those files.

Hope this sheds some light on the process!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

davesomers
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry Jay, I know you're trying, but I'm just not getting it.

Will Dropbox copy the whole big package?  or just the little parts inside it that changed?

Jay
Dropboxer

Only the little parts in the package will be changed, just like a delta sync.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

davesomers
Explorer | Level 3

thank you, that's what I was trying to understand.

Dave

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?