cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronization

Mr_
Explorer | Level 3

« Deselected folder to stop from synch not working. »

I deselected a folder that I don’t want to be synchronized anymore, then clicked “mettre a jour” (update), but this does not seem to have had any effect and I am still getting messages 173 times a minute that invite me to buy storage.

I don’t want to buy storage, I want to remove a folder from synch.

5 Replies 5

Re: Synchronization

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @Mr_, welcome to our Community!

If you're being prompted to upgrade your account for more space, you've probably run out of Dropbox space.

With an 'overquota' account, even if you unsynced a folder through our selective sync settings, you'd still be out of Dropbox space and you'd still get those 'out of space' messages.

See your plan tab, to check how much quota you're using.

To resolve this, you'll need to either delete some files to go under quota, or add some extra space.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mr_
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your answer but it doesn’t really solve my problem. My problem is that I am unchecking the box of that folder and applying that change and when I come back it is still checked.

What I’m saying is, the selective synch feature doesn’t work.

I need to use selective synch to unsynch a large folder which is causing me to go over the limit of allowed space.

> With an 'overquota' account, even if you unsynced a folder through our selective sync settings, you'd still be out of Dropbox space and you'd still get those 'out of space' messages.

Well, that doesn’t make sense. Imagine I have one unique folder in my Dropbox (100% of used space is used by files from that folder). Then if I unsynch that folder that means 100% of used space is now unused space and I should have 2Gb or 2.5Gb or whatever you are offering in the free account plan.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the reply!

The thing is that if your Dropbox account is full, the application will not sync, and thus selective sync won't work.

Unsyncing a folder with selective sync, only frees up space on your hard drive, not your Dropbox account. So, if your Dropbox space is full, you'd still get messages to upgrade your account.

You can use the info I gave you on my previous post to earn some extra space, if you need it. 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mr_
Explorer | Level 3

Ok I found the fix: uninstall dropbox! 

Rich
Super User II

@Mr_ wrote:
I need to use selective synch to unsynch a large folder which is causing me to go over the limit of allowed space.

That's not what Selective Sync is used for. Selective Sync doesn't stop folders from syncing to your Dropbox account. It removes the local copy of folder from your hard drive, leaving it in your Dropbox account online. It's a feature used to save local drive space by removing folders that you don't access often.

To save space in your account, you need to move files or folders out of your local Dropbox folder, or delete them if they're no longer needed.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Mr_ Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?