cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing an iPad with a new Desktop

Syncing an iPad with a new Desktop

Ron M.19
Explorer | Level 3

I have just moved to a new desktop computer. On my old desktop, my Dropbox account was synchronized with the Dropbox account on my iPad.   Now, I have my access to my Dropbox account, that I accessed from my old desktop, on my new desktop.  The one on my iPad still exists, but it doesn't recognize my new desktop.  How do I synchronize the Dropbox on my new desktop (the one that I accessed from my old desktop) with the one that already exists on my old iPad?  I do hope this makes sense.

Ron

10 Replies 10

Re: Syncing an iPad with a new Desktop

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @Ron M.19, I hope you're having a good week so far!

Just so I can understand the issue a little better here, can you clarify for me what you're referring to when you mention that the iPad doesn't recognise the new computer?

If you make changes on one device, does it not sync to the other?

Also, can you let me know what the desktop app on the new computer shows in the sync status?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ron M.19
Explorer | Level 3

Okay Daphne, here is the current situation:  First, thanks for your reply 😀

Old Computer:  If I select a file, e.g., a PDF document and right click on it, then a menu pops up that contains, among other selections, one that says <Send To>.  When I click on that then one of the selection that is available is <Dropbox>.  So I send the document to my Dropbox and it then appears in my Dropbox and I can access throught the shared Dropbox on my iPad and transfer it to my "Library" on my iPad -- Task Finished.

New Computer:  When I select a document on my new computer, and right click on it, then the menu that appears shows a Dropbox symbol and a selection <Send with Transfer>.  There is no <Send To> selection and I have no idea what the "Send with Transfer" means, so there does not appear to be any way of getting the document to my iPad as there is no <Send To> selection.  Even when I select that option, the document never appears on my iPad to be downloaded.

I hope this helps clarify the present situation.

I thought, maybe, that things were working that way because my new computer was not synced with my iPad.  With regards to your request, I could not find anything related to "sync status" on my new computer.  Perhaps, I do not understand what this means or where to find it.

One solution would be to start over, delete the Dropbox app from my desktop and then download and open a new dropbox on my new desktop, delete the Dropbox app from my iPad, reinstall, and see if I can sync the iPad with the new installation on my desktop.  Do you have any other alternatives as this is the way I get PDF documents from my desktop to my iPad so I can read them when I am away from home.

Ron

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Ron M.19, with regards to the computers what OS are they running?

Aside from 'Send with transfer' do you also get an option that says 'Move to Dropbox'? This would move it to the Dropbox folder which, if the Dropbox desktop application is running and syncing correctly, will allow the file to appear on the site and thus the mobile app on the iPad.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ron M.19
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, both computers are running Windows 10 Pro.

I do not get an option that says "Move to Dropbox".  The only "option" that references the Dropbox is the "Send with Transfer" option.

Ron

Jay
Dropboxer

Could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application using this link?

If the issue persists, could you attach a screenshot showing what you're seeing? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

How do I sync my iPad Dropbox with a Dropbox on my new Desktop.

Ron M.19
Explorer | Level 3

I previously had Dropbox synced between my desktop and my iPad so that I could move files from the desktop to the iPad.  Now I have a new desktop with the same iPad and I need to know how to re-sync Dropbox on my iPad with a Dropbox on my new desktop.  Do I download Dropbox to my new desktop first, or do I need to do something else?  Any insight into how to make this work again will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: How do I sync my iPad Dropbox with a Dropbox on my new Desktop.

Rich
Super User II

@Ron M.19 wrote:

Now I have a new desktop with the same iPad and I need to know how to re-sync Dropbox on my iPad with a Dropbox on my new desktop.

Just install Dropbox on the new computer and make sure you sign in to Dropbox using the same email address and password that you used for Dropbox on your iPad.

Ron M.19
Explorer | Level 3

Rich, thanks for the reply.  How do I find out what password I used for my iPad Dropbox, because when I open the Dropbox app on my iPad, it does not ask for a password or any other information, it just opens in "ready to go" mode.

Ron M.19
Explorer | Level 3

Rich, I followed your instructions and they did not work the same way it all worked on my previous desktop.  I get something called a "Transfer" and I have no idea how this works with my iPad.

Ron

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?