cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing causes system freeze

Syncing causes system freeze

x0royx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It took me a while to figure out that Dropbox was in fact the cause of this.

This morning, after being away for a month,  the PC (windows 10) froze up every 10-30 minutes after booting. A hard reset is the only thing that fixes it, although temporarlily.

The PC hasn't been online that much to sync 100%, only for short times by other users. In this case, I hae 300GB files where a lot needed refreshing/re-syncing. However, this is now impossible as with the PC running like this, it cannot sync again. I have tried to re-install Dropbox, but it is still causing the entire system to freeze (I waited 15 minutes then reset).

is there anyone out here with the same issues? Been running the PC without the Dropbox App now for about 4 hours, and didn't have a single freeze anymore. I need it for work and I have a Dropbox Plus account.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

x0royx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Update 19-06: I fixed this issue. Sorry to blame Dropbox for this. It turned out to be a bad RAM module (1 of 2 8GB sticks Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) turns out to be faulty. Over 2k of errors within a few minutes of RAM testing with Memtest86. When syncing a big Dropbox folder like I had (300GB+ it crashed more often because of the increased activity on the PC).

Hope to help out others with this update. Thanks for the quick support, really appreciate it!

Case closed.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @x0royx - sorry to hear about this. 

I have located your support ticket and I have forwarded it to an expert of my team to have a further look into this. 

In the meantime, since there was a recent issue with some 3rd party apps causing some conflicts on Windows computers, could you please let me know if you are using any 3rd party apps or services that could be triggering this behavior?

Thanks for your patience and cooperation in advance Roy!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

x0royx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Walt3R thank you for the fast reply, appreciate it.

I thought it was my Windows acting up first, so I had to do a Repair of the system. However, after re-installing Windows, the freezes still occured. When I removed the Dropbox (which was very busy syncing, leading to high CPU usage as well), the problem did not occur anymore. Still running since the start of this post without a single freeze. I guess I will have to test it again tomorrow try and re-install again, but as you know, syncing folders and lots of individual small files with a total amount of 300GB is not a 10-minute task 🙂

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey , I’m checking back on you, are you still experiencing this issue? 

Please do keep us updated on this discussion on any progress during these days, in order to follow-up with you. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

x0royx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for checking - the system freezes even appear now when Dropbox is completely removed, and Windows has done a ''re-install/reset''.

The issue seems related to something else. In both Chrome (used for years) random tabs crash, so I moved to Firefox but the issues remain. Tabs crash at random, or FF shuts down completely. This is on a clean Win10 pro install (1709). I will need to find out another cause for this. I jumped to conclusions to soon, although Dropbox had a very high CPU/MEM usage at the time of syncing the 300GB so I thought it had something to do with that. I will not install Dropbox until I have permanently fixed the random system freezes and tabs crashing. Difficult to find a solution for random stuff like that happening, even on a clean install without any bloated drivers hanging around.

Thanks for the help!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted @x0royx

I am sorry to hear that this persists for you. If I were in your shoes in this case, I would update my Windows version to see if this is resolved on a newer build. I would also suggest that you took a look here as well to see if there's any tip you could use to resolve this issue with your Windows 10 device freezing.

I hope this helps and please let us know what worked out for you in the end. 

Thanks and have a great week ahead Roy! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

x0royx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Update 19-06: I fixed this issue. Sorry to blame Dropbox for this. It turned out to be a bad RAM module (1 of 2 8GB sticks Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) turns out to be faulty. Over 2k of errors within a few minutes of RAM testing with Memtest86. When syncing a big Dropbox folder like I had (300GB+ it crashed more often because of the increased activity on the PC).

Hope to help out others with this update. Thanks for the quick support, really appreciate it!

Case closed.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you for following up on this Roy - happy to hear you worked through this after all and I appreciate your update on this thread as it might prove to be useful to many users having such issues in the future. 

Have a lovely day ahead and keep Dropboxing!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?