cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing dropbox account to two computers

Syncing dropbox account to two computers

srJ
New member | Level 2

I am trying to download the folders/files currently in my dropbox account to an older laptop.. I haven't used the old laptop recently, so the contents of my dropbox folder there are now obsolete. When I click on 'sync' however, won't this send the (now obsolete) folders//files from the old laptop to the online dropbox account, deleting the current contents of my dropbox that have uploaded there from the new laptop? (PS I do not use smart sync so the the contents of my dropbox is stored locally on each laptop.). As far as I understand, anything in the dropbox folder on a laptop will automatically sync to the online account. If so, every time I switch computers, I would be losing the new work done on the other one!  Thanks in advance for clarification!

1 Reply 1

Re: Syncing dropbox account to two computers

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @srJ, I hope you're having a good day so far!

So the desktop app should recognise which files are the most recent and sync the newer files down to your laptop.

If the app hasn't been connected for a long time and you'd like to be certain the data is isn't lost, you can unlink your laptop to sign out of the app, and delete the Dropbox folder.

Then, you can sign back into the desktop app and this will sync your files back down to your computer from scratch, making sure you get the new version of your files there.

Also just to note, I was able to locate your ticket with our Support team and I've passed along your comments here to keep the agent assisting you there in the loop. 

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?