cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing issues in macOS Catalina

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks. I followed your instruction and discovered that I already have that tick mark in DropBox. Not sure why my DropBox has been synching for four days straight. Turned off my Mac last night and when I restarted this morning I found that there are now more than 8,900 files being synched. In the past, DropBox would only synch files that had been changed and that was accomplished in real time. I like the improvments of the new DropBox but this constant synch is strickingly annoying.

ChuckDBox.png

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi Chuck,

Yes, my success was shortlived because today, with no identifiable trigger to do so, my Dropbox App decided to start playing up again and began to sync again.

Files which displayed as synced yesterday in Finder, are now showing the red failed status icon. Nothing has changed with these files since yesterday.

I received yet another amil from Dropbox support insisting that my problem was with Sym Links or Hard Links, which is simply not true. The same files were absolutely fine before the Catalina upgrade.

the app obviously has issues but Dropbox are refusing to acknowledge this.

Not sure how to proceed now.

Chris

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

Understood. I feel like Apple and DropBox are pointing fingers at each other while we are stuck in the middle. I'm not geting a red failed warning but most of my folders have the little blue spinning synch indicator and the other half appear as green indicating that the files are synched. I'd prefer to stay with DBox especially with the new features but I don't have to pay anyone to ignore me. I can get ignored for free :o)

MiniMare
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem as everyone else here and tried everything that was advised here. 

I guess I will have to wait for a bug fix because It is obvious that there is something wrong with the app.  

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

I'm not confident that anything is forthcoming. It's been weeks and I'd like to think that DBox has a group of people focused on "Customer Experience." Looks like I might be wrong about that. 

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

It's really annoying because all we get from DB people is 'thank you for your patience' or 'thank you for doing your own diagnostics'....

I'm convinced they don't really care. Communication is terrible.

Hopefully given time they'll fix the issue. But I'm not going to hang around for long as I absolutely need the service to work. Shame because it has been great until Catalina.

The developers should have been more prepared.

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6
I had sync’ing problems in mid-June 2019 and , after several weeks managed to figure out a solution. I wrote out a detailed solution on this forum, but within hours it was removed by a Dropbox forum moderator w/o explanation. I am a beta tester for Apple and had also selected the auto-update option for DB. So, I have been through many versions of Catalina and of Dropbox since my posting. I haven’t posted again because I assume that any “detailed set of instructions” re-post would be removed again. What I can say as encouragement is : Once I got it fixed in early July , it did stay fixed through all those additional rounds of new builds of both the OS and the DB app. The only thing I did was always quit Dropbox app before installing any new Catalina build.

The Apple Discussion site has recently posted a solution:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250781995

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

Thank you for your input @CVbiology.

However, I already tried the solution offered via the Apple link you posted, unlinking my Mac, uninstalling the App, deleting the local Dropbox files, deleted all Dropbox preference files etc, then restart and re-install the App, re-sync etc. Still have issues.

Tried with and without Smart Sync enabled too.

Also tried numerous other suggestions from DB and Apple forums, but each time I think I'm making progress, sync fails again.

How Dropbox can point the finger at Apple is strange, because it is ultimately down to the App developers to provide software which works reliably on the OS. If Apple changed something which affected the App this badly, then it is up to Dropbox developers to develop a fix or at least a workaround.

As it is, they are just leaving customers in limbo, and it won't affect Apple at all, but Dropbox will definately be losing customers.

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6

I was in real distress for a full two weeks . I had more than 600,000 files (almost 500 GB), so leaving Dropbox wasn't really feasible, but I would have been pretty unhappy not to have been able to use a local folder.

It's been almost 4 months [since I got it fixed], so my recollections are a bit hazy, but I do remember that a key aspect to the fix was having to leave it untouched for two or three days before the sync'ing finally finished.

I'm currently on v83.4.152 of Dropbox and OS 10.15.1 (Build 19B86a). Are you on those versions?

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

Yeah, it's driven me mad also, especially the non-acceptance by Dropbox support that there is an issue.

I've nowhere near 500GB of files, but I do use it for my most important data so it's got to work reliably as I need syncing across multiple platforms and devices.

My App is currently at v84.3.160 which was a version suggested to try via another forum post. OS is 10.15 (19A602).

Need more support?