cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing issues in macOS Catalina

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

OK, just deleted everything Dropbox, the folders, the client etc.

Downloading the stuff to my Macbook now, so I know I have the complete data and not some dysfunctional copy from the sync. And then move on to iCloud I guess.

Too bad, it has been a nice ride while it lasted Dropbox.

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

Wait! I just figured it out (by accident). Somehow, Catalina wrecked my dropbox experience. I reloaded dropbox and checked the "Smart Synch" box and now it works like it did pre Catalina. All of my files are on my hard drive AND on dropbox. I can choose a file or folder to save to dropbox only as an option. Might do that with a bunch of client videos. Here's the good news - that insidious never-ending synch stopped! I have NO idea why DropBox has not posted this solution but this is fixed! I thought that Smart Synch would automatically remove files from my drive and make them only available on line. NOT the case. The official DropBox explanation of Smart synch is misleading. Hope this helps. That never-ending synch was overheating my charger and the fan in my MacBookPro sounded like a fighter jet. Finally satisfied - again. Hope this helps.

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6

Glad to hear that you have it working again. I doubt that "Smart Sync" is the crucial step for everyone who is having problems. Mine started working again, and I don't have "Smart Sync" checked. I use "Selective Sync", but I have not wanted to use "Smart Sync" for the reason you mention - I don't want most of my old, but still reasonably frequently used, folders to become online-only, nor do I want any new folder to be, by default, online-only. I'm currently on MacOS 10.15.2 (Build 19C39d) and Dropbox for Mac, version 85.4.155, and things are working fine.Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 5.48.43 PM.png

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Sorry, but this is not the real solution. It works because it doesn't really sync anymore, it only syncs the file you click/want ad hoc. 

I am trying to sync my Photos library and I have tried many settings including yours. But that doesn't work with a library/database.

I have now tried to wipe everything dropbox, folders, client etc. and setup everything new with the latest client. But I am not hopeful, sync is stuck somewhere halfway again for the last 12 hours or so. Reboot seems to give it a kick up the butt again.... For as long as it lasts.

This is getting a bit annoying (understatement) They have my Photos library in the cloud, local it is gone, and I cannot download it (Dropbox webclient won't let me: error can't zip) and sync never finishes. Their incompetence to fix this has hijacked my data it seems 😞

Lets see how this sync will run over the next few days....

Syncing issues with the desktop app (Catalina)

ume1
Explorer | Level 3

The issue is NOT solved!

I still have it, despite latest versions and reinstall&reconnect. This is as Drobox issue. I will move away from dropbox if this is not solved within the next 5 work days.

sorry - ignoring the issue is not the solution.

Re: Syncing Does Not Work Automatically on macOS 10.15

Fiona
Dropboxer

Hello everyone!

Sorry to see this thread growing larger. :slight_frown: There are several troubleshooting steps posted in the first pages of this discussion. If you have tried them all you can also try the following: 

• Go to your System Preferences
  • Navigate to the Security & Privacy
  • Click Privacy 
  • Finally Select Full Disk Access from the left and ensure that the Dropbox App has it's box checked. Click the locked padlock at the bottom of the window to get the option to put a tick in the checkbox.

I hope this is the solution for you. If not and you need us to take a further look, contact us from the email associated with the Dropbox account facing the issue at https://www.dropbox.com/support. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

daysofspeed
New member | Level 2
Just to confirm that made absolutely no difference whatsoever for me.

Fiona
Dropboxer

Hey @daysofspeed. Create an email and provide me with the ticket number if you've tried all the steps here. 

I will take over your case to assist. Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

gfiksel
Explorer | Level 4

The problem has not been solved. Syncing under Catalina still required manual intervention either by stopping/resuming sync or by quiting/restarting Dropbox

ume1
Explorer | Level 3

granting "FULL DISK ACCESS" for Dropbox contradicts any security concept. Your software needs access ONLY to the folder it is attached to.

You have to correct that - or your software does not qualify for business use. 

Anyway - I granted the access, restarted Dropbox and... the problem is still there.

==> still no solution!

Need more support?