cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing issues in macOS Catalina

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @MickDG & @CVbiology, it’s Jane this time; let’s continue from where you’ve left off!

I’ve pinged the agent on your open ticket once more @MickDG, however following-up from your description, it looks like the syncing issue lies on the Symlinks created as you placed the library in Dropbox. As Dropbox no longer follows items outside of your Dropbox account that are linked to by a Symlink, it would be best if you placed the files in Dropbox instead. 

When it comes to the feedback you’re sending us @CVbiology, it’s gathered & looked into across channels. If there’s an inconsistency that appears under certain circumstances, then it’s best to further investigate through our Official Support channel

I also appreciate the detailed message on how you’re interacting with the Community. When it comes to the Accepted Solution on the thread, I marked the thread as Solved, based on your fellow Ciommunity member’s feedback.

I can see that you had mentioned the missing post previously, however I haven’t been able to locate anything besides this thread when searching on our Spam filter. As you mentioned that this has been restored now, I’m cross-linking in case your Solution works for future posters on this thread. 

I hope my post helps clarify matters to a certain extent. Happy holidays!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Jane , thanks for responding. Your remark: "..As Dropbox no longer follows items outside of your Dropbox account that are linked to by a symlink it would be best if you placed the files in Dropbox instead..." is interesting.

1) Because it is probably the first time I get a hint of the issue and understanding the issue is the way to a solution. The support so far has been: can you link/unlink/link, or can you put your library online only? (a library doesn't work in online)

2) Is the symlink issue new for Dropbox?

3) Or did Apple move some files out of the library in OS 10.15? 

- If so, does this explain the issue of the evergrowing library while syncing (real or perceived by Finder)

- If so, can you see which files these are so I can include them

- If not, all of the above in point 3 is moot and the issue is some where else

Thanks for having an intelligent conversation about the issue. This is more in depth then any of the earlier communication.

Jane
Dropboxer
Happy to hear this has helped paint a clearer picture @MickDG; I’ll do my best to further explain! 

1. No, Symlinks are known to cause syncing issues similar to what you’re describing us. It’s previously been detailed on this resource on the 7th point. Feel free to read below for more info however. 
Spoiler
If the symlink pathway is part of a single file that is visible in your Dropbox folder on your computer, this symlink may be part of a container file. Container files look like regular files if you look at them on your computer, but they're actually wrappers that contain other file types inside of them. These may include files necessary for the application to run properly and load all the components that the file requires. Some examples of these types of files are iPhoto libraries, Aperture files or iWork files. In these cases, you may want to remove the entire container file, rather than just the symlink itself, as removing just a component of the container file could damage the container file and therefore you may have problems when opening it.
  1. The change has been on Dropbox’s side. Having said that, you may experience differences in how your space is calculated locally if you’re using Symlinks because the "Get Info" feature in Finder doesn't follow symlinks so it won't account for that space usage. 
In order to resolve the issue at hand, you’d need to drag & drop the library outside Dropbox & place your photos in Dropbox instead. 

I hope I’ve covered everything; please let me know if you have any follow-up questions for me! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Jane.

"..In order to resolve the issue at hand, you’d need to drag & drop the library outside Dropbox & place your photos in Dropbox instead..."

Would be great if that was possible, but Finder sees the library as one file (database) where both photos and all the supporting files are located. Only if you do 'show package contents' you can see the internal workings and folders. The two photo folders (Masters & Originals) are 339 GB. But as said, Finder, and as such Dropbox only sees the Photolibrary folder as one big monster. So bit stuck there(?)

FYI, according to your support staff my Photos library is 501GB on your storage. This is funny, as I have been running the library on this Macbook for the last few years on a 499GB SSD. The library used to be in the 400GB ball park. So something is wrong with this picture. And I am sure it is not that my SSD has secretely been 1TB 😉

So the library has grown since Catalina/Dropbox updates but I cannot determine why/where. That is for your tech support to figure out. I think this is a/the key?

Cheers,

Mick

Re: Syncing Does Not Work Automatically on macOS 10.15

billjup
New member | Level 2

Hi Fiona,

We are a small IT Managed Services Provider and we are currently working with one of our clients on an issue with dropbox and a macbook with MAC OS catalina 10.15.2. The issue is with dropbox smartsync. This is the only macbook at this cleint that is having the problem and it is also the only client with this updated version of the catalina MAC OS. We have tried everything and have been working dropbox tech support which had been very disappointing to say the least. Can you PLEASE get someone that is very knowledgeable with this to contact me via email? Our client is very frustrated, we are very frustrated, and I belive the customer is getting fed up with dropbox.

Someone can email me at *email removed by moderator*. We need expert help quick! Thanks!

Fiona
Dropboxer

Thanks for nudging me @billjup and for supporting this. 

I am terribly sorry to hear your experience with support was not what you expected and your issue is ongoing. 

I located your case with support using the email address you have associated with your Community profile. Taking over the case to assist you personally on this. 

Please respond to me there with the name of the devices of each member facing the issue. 

The list showing the names of each device, can be found online in each members security settings

I look forward on working with you. Hope I can make this experience better. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

Everything is working now just like before Apple upgraded the operating system. I menat to provide an update right away. Synch is working. Just new files. Everything is on my hard drive so I can work away from the internet. 

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Fiona @Jane, any news from your end? I am still no further after 3 months.

My Photo library was below 450GB before this started, it is confirmed by Dropbox support it has grown to 500+ with no reason. It is now too big to sync to my Macbook.

I have had dozens of suggestions from Support, from ridiculous to plain wrong. 

Can you PLEASE make a backup from 1 October available to me?!?! That should be a complete database under 450GB.

I pay for a service that is useless and I spent hours a week explaining to Support that their suggestions are not cutting it.

Fiona
Dropboxer

Hi @MickDG. I am sorry to hear about this experience. 

In general, we recommend that people do not sync live databases with Dropbox. I understand this is frustrating and you would want it to work but currently we cannot offer much to make this work properly for you. Most databases have remote access methods anyway, so you don't need to sync a live database.

I understand you wish to access file history to recover versions of these files saved in Dropbox. If your plan offers this period of version history you could rollback a folder or your whole account to that point. 

Check the version history your paid plan offers

If you can go back to October, you can let the agent assisting you know you need a restoration. I see you still have ticket open with us. 

Thank you. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

will000
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Fiona,

I seem to be having similar issues to @MickDG

Running Dropbox 88.4.172 and Catalina 10.15.2.

1) I updated to Mac OS Catalina this morning. Before the update Dropbox was happy and I had 80Gb of space free on my SSD.

2) After the update my laptop has been churning away at high fan speed for hours and Dropbox has filled my SSD to the top - bricking my Mac.

3) According to the app after the update I am suddenly syncing tens of thousands of files (Indexing 25, Uploading 54,644, Downloading 166). If I allow the app to continue it consumes free space at several gigabytes per minute.

4) Like MickDG, I sync my iMovie and Photos libraries through Dropbox, and have done happily for several years.

5) Like MickDG, and many other customers on this thread I have recieved appalling customer service and have wasted hours trying to fix this issue - not to mention suffered extremely high blood pressure as I battled to save my laptop and my invaluable files.

I demand a real and proactive solution to this problem. It is not good enough to simply say that live databases are not really supported. Clearly this is a fundamental change (bug) within Dropbox - there hasn't been a problem before - and at the very least the issue should be acknowledged and customers should be warned.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?