cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing isn't working automatically on Catalina

Re: Syncing isn't working automatically on Catalina

Tazling
New member | Level 2

I just upgraded to Catalina and have the same problem:  automatic synching no longer happens, and there is no error indicator.  My setup could not be simpler.  Just one Dropbox folder (not a symlink) in my home directory.  No symlinks inside the DB folder.  Real files, and not thousands of them either.  Before Catalina, DB operated exactly as advertised.  Since Catalina, when I add a new file on the Mac, it is no longer synched to DB and my other devices can't see it, neither does the DropBox App if I run it on the same Mac.  I don't even get little blue file transfer indicators.  There is no sync happening at all.

If I quit DB and start it up again, the sync then happens.  So it's not that DB can't find these files and synch them, it's just not doing it automatically.  It only synchs on startup.  This is a PITA.  It means at the end of a day, or whenever I put some material on DB to be shared, I have to shut'er down and restart to make the files actually shared. 

UPDATE:  maybe they are right about sym links.  I just remembered that my home directory IS a symlink, or at least the path to /Users/Moi involves a symlink.  Never think about it because it's a couple of levels up from any folder I routinely interact with!  So I moved my DB folder out to a data volume with no links involved, just a mount point and folder hierarchy (using Preferences to relocate it) and that seems to have improved matters.  When I copy a new file to DB, it now seems to synch actively and immediately.

Note to others:  check not only that your DB folder is not a symlink and doesn't contain symlinks, but that the entire full pathname of your DB folder never involves a symlink.  That might be the key.  Kind of weird/silly if you ask me, to release an app that gags on symlinks... but if that's what it takes to restore proper function, I don't really care where the actual folder resides.

Re: Syncing isn't working automatically on Catalina

bay_mac_user
New member | Level 2

Same problem here. 

Everything worked fine pre-catalina.

Now, syncing will not happen automaticly.  Sync status says "Up to Date" no sync errors, but you need to pause and resume for any files to be uploaded to Dropbox.

No Symlinks. I unlinked and re-linked account and uninstalled and re-installed, but the problem is still there.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bay_mac_user New member | Level 2
    Tazling New member | Level 2
    MickDG Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropboxer
    will000 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?