cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing isn't working automatically on Catalina

Re: Syncing issues in macOS Catalina

jaseev
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane,

I am also using symlinks and see this behaviour (I have to manually pause and unpause syncing to get Dropbox syncing the folders outside my dropbox linked to by the symlinks). Glad to see we now know what the problem is.

However I read with concern the DB thread about not supporting symlinks. I use them extensively for a range of work-related reasons and will have to drop my Pro account and seek other syncing options if my symlinks stop working.

Having said that, Dropbox is obviously still supporting them at the moment because all my 100's GB of files in symlinked folders do actually sync when I manually start-stop syncing. Its just the auto-detection of changes which don't work.

Please can DB reconsider this decision. 

thonyg
Helpful | Level 5

Yes my setup uses symlinks (generated by macdropany). But: (1) these are non-negotiable in my situation and (2) dropbox clearly does still support their use -- for instance, everythng worked perfectly yesterday.

Tshu
Helpful | Level 5

@Jane As you can see, there are so many people use symlinks to sync different folders in their setup. Besides, I don't notice the email like so many people above that Dropbox no longer follows items outside of Dropbox folders that are linked to by a symlink and I get this info from websites. Please please support multi folders sync or at least make symlinks work again which is so many people just need!

brcby
Helpful | Level 5

+ 1 for getting sym links back. It was my primary requirement (symlinking) when i chose dropbox over other competitors years back! 

Jane
Dropboxer
Hello again to everyone!

I appreciate the time you've all devoted to check my pointers on your side & let me know of your findings & observations. As a rule of thumb we suggest avoiding to use Symlinks in your setup, as these don’t play well with Dropbox, however I appreciate the time you devoted to outline us your thoughts & for your contribution during the diagnosing phase! 

Thanks for using Dropbox & keeping this discussion going & I’m always here if you have anything to add! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

marcelocx
Helpful | Level 6

Hello. I have the same problem, Dropbox wont automatically sync files, I have to pause and then resume to sync my files.

I am running Dropbox v83.4.152 on macOS Catalina 10.15 (19A602). I have one symlink in my Dropbox folder because my MacBook Pro only have a 256GB SSD and my Dropbox account has 2TB.

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks,

yetson
Helpful | Level 6

to share with a solution - full reinstall, unlink and full re-sync (after local removal of all /dropbox folders) brought back functionality. for me it looked like existing local files somehow blocked the sync/transfer with ?attributes?. Removing EVERYTHING helped. So far 😉

Greetings,

marcelocx
Helpful | Level 6

Hello. I would like to know if the fact that symlinks can no longer link to a folder outside the Dropbox folder is a bug or it is the new intended behavior.

I really need to use symlinks and will need to leave Dropbox if I can not use them anymore.

Thanks,

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @marcelocx, thanks for the nudge! 

I was able to locate your existing email chain, where you’ve been discussing your concern with my co-worker through our Official Support channel. In order to expedite matters for you, I’ve made sure to include a Note of your comments & I’ve increased your Support priority internally! 

Following, I appreciate the confirmation @bags; please have a look at your inbox whenever you have a minute! 

Last but not least, as you’ve now mentioned that the re-installation got this sorted for you @yetson, I went ahead & accepted your last message as the best answer, since other Community viewers may benefit from your Solution.Thanks for your time & contribution! 😊

That's all from me for now & please feel free to ping me back here if you need further assistance in any way! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Tshu
Helpful | Level 5

@yetson  This doesn't work for me. I fully reinstall dropbox, delete the Dropbox folder, and wait for everything re-sync, delete folders and relink. Is there anything I missed?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bay_mac_user New member | Level 2
    Tazling New member | Level 2
    MickDG Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropboxer
    will000 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?