cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing isn't working automatically on Catalina

Re: Syncing issues in macOS Catalina

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6

I should have mentioned also that I don't use symbolic links, since that has been giving other Dropbox users fits.

Judging from your versions, I'd say that you're certainly using a new enough version of Dropbox since you're on a higher number than I am . I seem to be on a newer version of Catalina.

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

No Sym Links or Hard Links for me either, and Dropbox support kept insisting that I would be fine if I removed them..... go figure!

I don't get an update option for Catalina so maybe your version is not available in the UK yet? Checking just reports I'm up to date.

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6

Managed to dig out my first (or nearly first) post - the one when I'm still having trouble.
I was running 10.15 (19A487m),

..and the one you're on is 10.15 (19A602) which is just barely ahead of where I was in June.

So, if you can stand to try one more maneuver, make a bootable clone of where you are now, then quit the Dropbox app, then upgrade your MacOS to  10.15.1 , and then relaunch Dropbox.... and if it takes a long time to sync, leave Dropbox open for a day or two [to see if it finishes sync'ing].

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

I can't get 10.15.1 yet as it's not in public release and I don't have a developer account to download Beta versions.

Any other options to access this version?

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6

Have you tried signing up for public beta's?

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/redemption#macos

You should eventually get to a homepage for public beta's.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

I have been an AppleSeed for perhaps 10 years and paid to become a developer perhaps 5 years ago, so I'm not up to date on the public beta's.

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

Thank you!

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6
Apple just released to the public 10.15.1 Build 88

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

Installed 10.15.1 and it does not solve perpetual synching. Files that are synched, not changed, synch every time I start my Mac. Perpetual synching is a battery killer. I hope that MAC and dropbox stop pointing fingers and just get this thing fixed. Batter goes to red in less than two hours.

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

I have more or less one file In dropbox and that is the Photos Database.

Had some other issues, which seem fixed now. (not removing cache files) But now I am looking at a sync that is alread for hours on the same number of files... So looks similar to what some of you describe above. 

Dropbox support has been sub-par so far. I had to point out the basic issue every time again (not enough space to finish sync due to DB writing garbage on my SDD)

Hope this gets fixed soon, or should I just switch to iCloud (drive) ?

daysofspeed
New member | Level 2

What's happening here is somehow Catalina / Dropbox is making the files Hard links.

In terminal use:

find ~/Dropbox -type f -links +1

To find the hard linked files (in my case it was all of them in the existing Dropbox folder).

Dragged out - deleted Dropbox, reinstalled - the vital part here is the unlinking of the app.

Appreciate this is essentially same as the solution here - merely pointing out is the issue with the hard links breaking the syncing.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bay_mac_user New member | Level 2
    Tazling New member | Level 2
    MickDG Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropboxer
    will000 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?