cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing isn't working automatically on Catalina

Re: Syncing issues in macOS Catalina

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Just received a link to a new (beta) version of the desktop client. It has the option to fix permissions and fix hard links. My sync runs again for now 🙂

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-85-3-138/td-p/375912

daysofspeed
New member | Level 2

That hadn't worked for me previously - and I was told by DB support to roll back my DB app - but pleased it fixed it - nice one.

stream41
Explorer | Level 3

@MickDG wrote:

Just received a link to a new (beta) version of the desktop client. It has the option to fix permissions and fix hard links. My sync runs again for now 🙂

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-85-3-138/td-p/375912

I downloaded that beta and I don't see that option to fix anything. Where did you find it?

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

I am back to square one too I guess.

Sync started running, but it turned out it removed all my files from my SSD 😞

So when that was done I had loods of free space but no files.

Restarted the sync last week Friday, went out of town for the week, returned today, Sync not finished as it still using all my diskspace (while I should have loads free) I don't know what to say about Dropbox. But let's say I am VERY UNHAPPY. And I cannot make the shift to iCloud easily, first they need to fix the issue that my disk is full while it shouldn't (a hard link issue going around in circles?)

I have 1200 files to go to finish the sync, a threw everything away I don't really need but still the Sync won't finish without writing data on my SSD to the brim 😞 😞

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

As per DropBox support:

Thank you for providing those details. 

Now I can see a the issue is related to this device contains multiple "Hard Links" there is a fix in version 85 of our application. To upgrade to version 85 please follow the link below:

Once the application has been updated please follow these instructions to fix permissions:

1) Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2) Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel

3) Select 'Preferences'

4) Click on the 'Account' tab

5) Hold down the 'Option/Alt' key

6) Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key

7) You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

This will allow Dropbox access to your home folder, Dropbox folder, and any required settings.

Note, I am still having issues 😞

JoergEss
Collaborator | Level 8

For me it doesn't fix it, too.

JoergEss
Collaborator | Level 8

Thanx daysofspeed!

I've found now this list:

/Users/joerg/Dropbox (Privat)/Icon

/Users/joerg/Dropbox (Privat)/.dropbox.cache/icons/DropboxFolder

/Users/joerg/Dropbox (Privat)/xxxxx/Icon

and more like this.

I think the "Icon?"-files are systemfiles?!

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

There is NO "fix permissions" button when alt/option is held. And there is no "gear". I just went to preferences and followed your instructions until I failed to find a "Fix Permissions". Still stuck in the synch from hell. Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

Check this out. This is what is happening to your app in Catalina. When are you going to get angry and fix this? Synch just won't stop. Are they trying to force users to iCloud?Bad Synch.png

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Would love to switch to iCloud. But can't at the moment as I first need to get my SSD back in normal order instead of 99.9% full with Dropbox garbage. It is just filling up my disk and my macbook is more or less bricked because of it.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bay_mac_user New member | Level 2
    Tazling New member | Level 2
    MickDG Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropboxer
    will000 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?