cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing isn't working automatically on Catalina

Re: Syncing Does Not Work Automatically on macOS 10.15

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Same here, have a ticket open for a month now. I have no clue what is happening, but is messed up.

Sync is stuck again as my SSD is full with 65.000 files to go. Last week it stopped syncing with 1200 files to go. So we are defintely moving in the right direction... not...

I cleaned up 10's of GB's lately and before the upgrade everything fitted. Now with only syncing one Library and not my other folders it needs more space than I ever used before.

I cannot even get my own data back from Dropbox onto my SSD. How the ... is that possible? What are you guys doing??? I cannot work with my Photos Library anymore. 

Dropbox is just comletely broken.

Fiona
Dropboxer

Thanks for posting about this @MickDG

I located your case and added notes to inform the agents you contacted us with your feedback. Since this is already handled by a specialized agent, I am confident it will be resolved. I understand how much this is affecting you. 

I apologize for the inconvenience and can't thank you enough for your patience and cooperation with our Support team. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

I agree. The issue is NOT solved. My earlier posting reflected my misguided relief because the incessent synching had stopped. My charger was no longer running a temperature of 120 degrees. Working from my desk at home, looking at my 30" monitor everything seemed just fine. So, I was recently on site with a client and off of the web. I tried to pull up a powerpoint for review and discovered that IT IS NO LONGER ON MY LOCAL DRIVE! I looked at my setting and confirmed that I did not check "online only". So, here we go again. A big chunk of my day will be wasted trying to retrieve my own files. I thought I would be able to choose which files would be online only. The exact opposite has happened. Arrrrrrg!!

Re: Syncing issues in macOS Catalina

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6

@chrisacam , I'm just curious whether you ever succeeded in fixing the problem you were having.

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

No

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

@CVbiology mine has been working well for a couple of weeks now.

Having gone through a huge amount of pain, I'm running Catalina 10.15.1 and Dropbox v86.3.130.

It did have a wobble yesterday and began misbehaving, suddenly without any change by me, trying to sync all my files and indicating via the finder status icons the red failure cross on many files. I thought here we go again!

I stopped the sync process, closed the App, rebooted my Mac and it's been fine since.

Although I did receive an email advising that I'd deleted 1671 files from my Dropbox (which I hadn't of course), but they were fine, so they really haven't got a clue.

I've been watching this community with interest and I am still astounded at the responses and suggestions from the Dropbox staff. They have obviously not got a handle on this yet.

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6

@chrisacam , I'm on Catalina 10.15.12 (Build 19C46a) but only Dropbox 85.4.155. I have 700,000 files, and after OS updates, it takes about 10 minutes for Dropbox sync'ing to finish.

With all the possible permutations of users' preferences for "Optimize Mac Storage" (if they use iCloud Drive) and users' preferences for "Smart Sync" and "Selective Sync" (if they use Dropbox), combined with the periodicity of new builds for Catalina (every few weeks), a lot of us could sense that things could easily go off a cliff.

Intuitively, it doesn't make sense to me for a user to be relying on two sync'ing functions simultaneously, or three (if you're using "Optimize Mac Storage", too); I think "Optimize Mac Storage" is constantly looking at what is on both one's computer and one's iCloud Drive and ascertaining what belongs where. Wouldn't that make it inherently difficult for Dropbox's sync functions to keep up?

I've been a Dropbox "Selective Sync" user for a long time, but I only recently started using "Optimize Mac Storage". Even though I was prompted repeatedly to use "Smart Sync", I held off out of an abundance of caution. 

I'm actually surprised that a Dropboxer hasn't asked each person who posts on this Forum to specify how they have their preferences set up.

ume1
Explorer | Level 3

I quit Dropbox - and moved to Tresorit. Reason: Problem with Sync, no solution (I do not debug Dropbox, I am a client) and security not suitable for my purposes.

Sorry - they are a little bit more expensive - but not that much.

Good luck debugging Dropbox

ChuckOfScottsda
Helpful | Level 5

Thought I had fixed everything when the forever sync finally stopped. I was mortified when I was recently at a client site and tried to open a PowerPoint for discussion. Got a message that the file was not local anymore! Customer does not let external support people into their wifi and my cell phone hotspot was too weak. I need my files back and I didn’t want to restart the incessant sync from beyond the grave!! So, this is what I did when I got back to my office. A guy named Derek at Dropbox walked me through this and talked me off the ledge. IT WORKS!

1. Upgraded to the latest DropBox version (had already done that)
  2. Preferences: Turned off Smart Sync
  3. Preferences: Switched new content default to Local
  4. Went to finder and right clicked on the synch indicator on Dropbox (could have done this one folder at a time but I wanted it all local)
  5. Scrolled down to “Smart Sync” and clicked on “Local”
  6. The magic started and for hours all of my files were back on my hard drive AND on DropBox

I have a monster folder of client owned videos that take up tons of space. I’ll be changing that to “online only”.

Most importantly, the synching took hours but it ended. My charger is no longer running a fever of 120 degrees and the internal fan on my MacBook pro no longer sounds like the afterburner of a fighter jet.

Good luck. Hope this helps. I suffered with DropBox for weeks after upgrading to Catalina. Now my experience is back to normal for me.

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

I am on

Just an update:

OS 10.15.1

Dropbox 86.3.130

The sync of my normal folders with docs etc. seem to be working OK. I have Selective Sync and Local as defaults.

I have a red exclamation mark on the client, but can't see what is wrong, it says up to date in the client (bit unnerving)

My issue is (still) with my Photo Library. Although I have ran it for years from this Macbook and Dropbox, it won't sync back to my Macbook as it is bigger than it ever was (has it grown by syncing?) 

I am also astounded by the support. I have a ticket open, I deliver new info on an almost daily basis, and the only thing I get back are suggestions that do not work/already tried or a mention that they pinged the engineer working on it. 

No hint on ETA, what they are doing atm, what the cause might be etc. etc. 
Never a question on settings, behaviour etc. 
Asked a zillion times to have a chat session as it will be much easier to see the behaviour or troubleshoot settings.

**bleep** goes wrong, I understand, it is how you deal with it that matters. 

Had an issue with Apple Mail and got an engineer in my time zone who called me daily with updates and we did desktop sharing to work on the issue. And I am not paying Apple 100 dollar a year for mail... Although I was not happy to have the issue, I was at least happy with the support.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bay_mac_user New member | Level 2
    Tazling New member | Level 2
    MickDG Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropboxer
    will000 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?