cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing isn't working automatically on Catalina

Re: Syncing issues in macOS Catalina

Retts
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All, I didn't realize that my folders were no longer syncing. I work off of 2 computers.  One in my home office and one for when I travel.  macdropany always worked perfectly and now I'm told by dropbox online chat support that they no longer support symlinks.  I took the advice of "solved" and it did not work for me.  I deleted everything from dropbox and deleted macdropany.  Then I started over.  Nothing seems to work.  I can't keep all of my files on dropbox's cloud-only, which is what they seem to want me to do.  Any additional thoughts?

Fiona
Dropboxer

Hey @MickDG and @Retts.

Seems like the issues you are describing quite different. I would be glad to troubleshoot with both of you.

Please create a ticket here, and provide me with the following: 

• Name of the device facing the issue. You can see the names of your devices here
  • Confirm you have turned off early releases from your account settings online, here
  • Confirm that you have updated to Our Stable 85.4.155. Stable version = more stable experience. 

Thanks in advance for the ticket numbers. Can't wait to help! :tools:

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Fiona I already created a ticket about a month ago. In an earlier post you mentioned you found it.

I understand my issue seem to be more Photos Library (Hard Links?) related. 

Dropbox seem to work OK for other files (although I keep having an exclamation mark on the client)

I have tried a few client versions but the issue seems to be my Photos Library is already bloated and is only becoming more with each sync. So as long as there isn't an 'aha'  moment at Dropbox for hard links issue I am happy to not overcook my Macbook for 3 days straight and then discover my SDD is completely swamped by a Library that used to fit in the past, easily.

I await further updates in my ticket, from either you or the support team. Thank you.

Fiona
Dropboxer

Apologies for the confusion @MickDG. I did locate the ticket on Thursday.

We will get back to you when we have updates on the matter. 

Thank you for your time and patience. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Retts
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona,

@Fiona  I think I've solved my problem with the help of my niece.  We deleted MacDropAny (again) and all of my folders that had been previously synced through MacDropAny.  We then dragged and dropped the folders that I wanted to be mirrored on my two laptops into dropbox.  Then we created an alias for each folder and dragged the alias folder back to each desktop screen on each computer, leaving the original in dropbox.  Voila!  Everything is syncing like a charm.  I keep all folders and files local so I can access them without the internet when necessary.  Thanks very much for checking in. 🙂

Fiona
Dropboxer

Pleased to hear that @Retts:grinning:

Kids are pretty tech-savvy these days! If she has not yet picked a career path, I think she will have a bright future with modern technology. :white_check_mark:

Thanks for posting the steps that solved this for you. 

See you around in the Community. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

So.... how are things going around here? Is it already save to start syncing my Photo library? Or will I end up with a bloated file again?

Funnily enough, as soon as I started following up on my case last month I have received 0 (zero) mails from Dropbox. Does that mean my ticket is just closed? Ignored? Fixed?

Fiona?

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

@MickDGit seems fixed for some but not others.

mine eventually settled down, but I lost complete faith in DB because of the awful support and emails which were seemingly ignored. I wasn't prepared to risk this again so have switched to another provider and unlinked my devices from DB.

insuspect they've lost quite a few more customers over their shocking support.

Chris

MickDG
Helpful | Level 6

Yeah, the support is a thing. In the past I was mightily impressed with their support. Not so much at the moment.

My issue is 'only' with my Photos Library. But that is exactly the reason I have the paid option... 

Would love to move to iCloud for photos, but as long as I cannot finish one complete sync of my library I can't migrate.

CVbiology
Helpful | Level 6

@MickDG and @chrisacam , there are at least 4 mistakes that Dropbox made:
(1) They didn't have a real feedback app, like Apple's https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/welcome . It used to be only for Developers, but they've now folded their public bug reporter into Feedback Assistant;
(2) the Forum is pretty buggy. I often type in a long post . When I go to copy-and-paste it into, say, my Notes app, before hitting the blue Reply button, it frequently disappears. In fact, that's what just happened - I'm once again retyping in my comments - and now I've learned my lesson: I take a screenshot!;
(3) they didn't seem to appreciate that there were so many different issues, not just one or two. So, they prematurely declared victory w/ "Solved!" And, in my case, they even removed my step-by-step solution [for my own problem], ostensibly because they had already declared that they had a preferred solution. Weeks later, they restored my post [step-by-step solution for the problem I was experiencing].
(4) they seemed overwhelmed. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bay_mac_user New member | Level 2
    Tazling New member | Level 2
    MickDG Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropboxer
    will000 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?