cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing issue with Zscaler

Syncing issue with Zscaler

ctbird
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I use Dropbox on my work-issued computer (on which I do not have admin rights), and ever since my employer installed Zscaler, my Dropbox won't sync and I'm getting the message: "can't establish secure internet connection." What can I do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @ctbird  - sorry to hear about this.

As the Dropbox client (i.e. our desktop app) uses SSL to establish a secure connection to our servers your system time should be correct and your security applications such as Zscaler should allow Dropbox to connect. To learn more, please see our Help Center article here:  https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing 

Keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @ctbird  - sorry to hear about this.

As the Dropbox client (i.e. our desktop app) uses SSL to establish a secure connection to our servers your system time should be correct and your security applications such as Zscaler should allow Dropbox to connect. To learn more, please see our Help Center article here:  https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing 

Keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

sbbish
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This same issue just hit me. I was actually working in Dropbox when our IT department pushed out the installation for Zscaler. As Zscaler installed, I immediately watched Dropbox lose its connection and it hasn't come back (after multiple reboots). I've followed the link you posted to the Help Center article. My system date/time are correct. I've checked the proxy settings as suggested. IT said Dropbox is not on the list of blocked sites. Still can't establish a connection.

Any other ideas?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @sbbish - can you ensure that there's no antvirus, firewall or VPN/proxy setting that could be causing this? 

I'm also wondering, does the issue persist without Zscaler running?  

PS: Are you able to access our official domains through a web browser normally?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

sbbish
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There ARE firewalls and AV software running, but those haven't changed in a few years. Dropbox connectivity died immediately when Zscaler finished installing. I cannot disable Zscaler or the AV software as those are controlled by IT.

I CAN access Dropbox domains through the web. It is just the Windows 10 desktop app that insists it can't connect because it says the computer's date and time are incorrect (they ARE correct).

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

At this point I'm fairly sure that Zscaler is the cuplrit @sbbish  - I'd suggest contacting them to see what could be causing ths.  You might want to take a look at this resource as well. 

I hope this helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your findings!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

sbbish
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

IT made the changes to the Zscaler policy per the resource link you provided. Still no luck. I still get the error "Can't establish secure internet connection."

sbbish
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So IT did some more playing around and now got it working.

Apparently there are some more URLs to add to the policy list in that Zscaler PKP table that are not listed on that resource page. IT didn't tell me specifically what those URLs were. But the solution DOES appear to be updating the Zscaler policy with the PKP information, but you may have to figure out what those URLs are since they are not all listed on that page.

Sorry I couldn't provide the exact information for the fix to anyone else who is having this issue.

LitteraScripta
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having this issue following a new installation of Zscaler.  sbbish, do you know where your IT group obtained their additional URLs?  Zscaler?  Thanks in advance

sbbish
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry, I don't know exactly. I think they looked at the network traffic to see what URLs were being pinged by Dropbox and figured out there were additional ones being blocked that were not part of the list provided by Zscaler on that PKP help page.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Michael999 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    sbbish Explorer | Level 4
    LitteraScripta New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?