cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing problem on one Linux

Syncing problem on one Linux

Michael_XIII
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi all!

After installing Dropbox v79.4.143 on Lubuntu 18.04 (64bit) I log in to my account and downloads start to ~/Dropbox folder normally. After downloading all my files, none changes in files detected and not synced to the cloud.

I am read all manuals and make anything

• reinstall
  • reboot
  • unlink-link account
  • remove the package, delete hidden Dropbox directories install it again
  • tried deb instead apt-get 
  • check firewall
  • etc

Dropboxes on 2 different stations work fine (Mac & identical Lubunu)

At this moment with all movement listed earlier, I could get 2 states of the Problem

1) Fresh downloaded directory which not upload changed files (no moving arrows in the icon ). Changed files tracked as changed - but not uploading there happens

2) The hanging system with spinning arrows in the icon, but none sync indeed. All files marked as not tracked

$ dropbox filestatus Dropbox/New\ Signifer/
Dropbox/New Signifer/: unwatched

$ dropbox status
Syncing...

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Michael_XIII,

Take a look at "Early releases" in your general settings. Make sure they are turn off. Can you post results from following commands:

ls ~/.dropbox-dist | grep dropbox-lnx
ls -l ~/Dropbox | grep New\ Signifer
echo $USER

@Walter, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu... all are same Linux distribution! Only difference between is default desktop manager, nothing more. Even more, you can install anyone of them and add additional or change desktop manager. The difference in the name is just for convenience and it's not a restriction! So, the statement "your exact distro (Lubuntu) is not currently supported" is not very consistent. Or may be I miss something :thinking: Is Dropbox restricted to particular desktop manager? This is missing in system requirements you mentions. (and that don't have to be in) :wink:

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello there @Michael_XIII - sorry to hear about this.

Even though your exact distro (Lubuntu) is not currently supported, you may be able to use our desktop app but YMMV.

At this point, all I can suggest is that you make sure you're meeting our minimum requirements as outlined in the following page and try again:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements#linux

I hope this helps to some extent and please keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Michael_XIII,

Take a look at "Early releases" in your general settings. Make sure they are turn off. Can you post results from following commands:

ls ~/.dropbox-dist | grep dropbox-lnx
ls -l ~/Dropbox | grep New\ Signifer
echo $USER

@Walter, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu... all are same Linux distribution! Only difference between is default desktop manager, nothing more. Even more, you can install anyone of them and add additional or change desktop manager. The difference in the name is just for convenience and it's not a restriction! So, the statement "your exact distro (Lubuntu) is not currently supported" is not very consistent. Or may be I miss something :thinking: Is Dropbox restricted to particular desktop manager? This is missing in system requirements you mentions. (and that don't have to be in) :wink:

Michael_XIII
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Walter, your post is ABSOLUTELY missing and not required, showed that you are not professional in this indeed. Fail. Bye.

@Здравко thank you for good answer!

The problem was fixed by setting the correct permission on the directory by chmod. Shame on Dropbox for not checking this situation...

Ticket closed

dongnl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Turning off "Early releases" in Dropbox Account fixes this forever syncing issue of Dropbox client in Linux Mint 19 for me. Reinstalling Dropbox several times doesn't work. Thanks for the tip!

Mandy Xie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Michael, I think I got the same issue as yours. Could you please tell me what do you mean by setting the correct permission on the directory by chmod?  What is the exact command you use? Could you please discribe it in a more detailed way? Thank you very much!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Mandy Xie,

Just navigate to your Dropbox directory in a terminal and run following:

chmod -R u+rw .

Or if you never changed the folder place, just run:

chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

If there isn't something more than permission issues, this has to help. :wink:

Good luck.

gregoriogalli
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem for me, on Elementary os. I have 3 computer using Elementary and I had no problem with dropbox. But now on my 2009 macbookpro it stops sync after it downloads a lot of files. Simply the wheel turns, but the files are not downloaded and uploaded. I tried all the solutions indicated over here, but nothing worked...

Need more support?