cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing stuck in pause.

Syncing stuck in pause.

Mercman80
Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox basic. Originall installation allowed 5 devices with 5GB space.  Installed dropbox in new computer now has 3 devices with 5GB data.

Shortly after installation message appeared that space nearly full.  I looks like that Dropbox synced with my PC and started to upload everything is could find until my space wast full.

It is now paused in sync.  I have set it to never sync. I can't see what is uploaded on my pc, but I could on my Ipad.  I deleted most of the file from the iPad, but that is not reflected on the PC.

How to unlock the "syncing paused" message on the drop icon on my task bar.?

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Mercman80; welcome aboard!

It looks like you enabled the computer backup feature when you installed the desktop app on your new compute, thus putting you over your account's quota. 

You should be able to resume the syncing process following these steps

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Mercman80
Explorer | Level 3

I went into preferences and stopped auto backup on all folders and told it to leave content on PC.

Syncing is paused and it wants to resume syncing.

I don't want to sync with anything.   I just add important files to dropbox to they don't get lost or deleted from the PC.

I just want be able to add files and see them on my linked devices.  I want all the items backed up on installations removed.

How to I do this?  

Walter
Dropbox Staff
In that case, since you already disabled the computer backup feature, you'll need to resume the syncing until the app shows up to date @Mercman80

As for your previously backed-up folders, you should be able to move them back to their original locations if needed. 

Moving forward, note that you can copy or move any files you'd like to be synced across your devices and the website in your Dropbox folder on your computer. Just make sure you have enough quota and let the desktop app sync until it shows 'up to date'. 

Keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Mercman80
Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

I just want Dropbox to stop doing things.  I cleared all the boxes and and then told sync, now it is downloading 42 files.

I am worried what it is doing to the files on my computer.  I think it was a big mistake to install this version of dropbox.

What will happen if i uninstall the program?

Mercman80
Explorer | Level 3

Help, Urgent

Dropbox has removed all my documents from my computer.

What is going on? 

Mercman80
Explorer | Level 3

Arthur,

Dropbox on the taskbar shows "uploading 1724 files (68.9kbs.sec, 2+ days".

Where are files being uploaded to?  What is going on?

I have MS office 365,  and documents have gone from This PC, but they are showing in the quick access file, there is a small blue circle against each file, some have a green tick.

Mercman80
Explorer | Level 3

Arthur,

Further to my last query, dropbox has now uploaded a whole lot of files, run out of space and telling me to upgrade.

I think this is a scam just to get me to pay an exorbitant amount to keep me files.

How can I get my files restored to where they before this mess up started.

Mercman80
Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

Further to your response I eventually found preferences and in the Backup item cleared the ticks in the three boxes and clicked leave files on my PCV.

As drop box had paused because there was not enough space, (to get more I had to upgrade and pay a monthly fee) you indicated that I should resume the down load.  I clicked continue, and the next thing more files were moved then paused again because no room.

On checking my PC I found that all my Documents files had been removed from the PC and some are visible in drop box, but I can't copy them back to my PC

I never wanted for all files to be loaded to Dropbox.  Could you please arrange for my files to be returned to my PC.  Your early response would be appreciated.  Mercman80

Mercman80
Explorer | Level 3

Have had Dropbox for a number of years on up to 5 computers. Bought a new computer and when installing found I could only have 3 computers - Basic Plan.  Removed 2 computers.  Installed the current Dropbox, could not find any obvious instructions re installation. Next thing Dropbox started uploading files from my PC until it ran out of space, taskbar icon indicated that syncing paused and told me to upgrade, for a monthy fee. I started trying to find what was going on, thru the Community (Walter) and it was indicated that Backup had been set in the Preferences. I had no idea where Perferences were but eventully found the place and when checking Backups noticed the all the boxes had been set to upload to Dropbox.  I unclicked the boxes and clicked leave on PC and clicked the set button,

On checking my PC i found that all my Document files have been removed and no longer available, but were now under a Folder called Dropbox. I could not copy and files back to the original place -a message "the file has properties that can't be copied to the new location".  

Your default option on intalling is to Backup files - I did not want to use Dropbox as a full backup facility, just for the odd file I wanted to have access to from other devices.  

NOW - current situation is that syncing is paused, there are files in line to continue and that will not happen until I pay for another plan.  I do not all my files in Dropbox, I want syncing stopped and the files uploaded released and returned to my PC.  As Dropbox took the files, I am asking that you put them back.  Even to I can see the files and access them, I can't do any work on them that will increase size as I am out of space.

Please respond to this posting and tell me that you will release my files ASAP. I realise that as I have a Basic plan my request comes after you have fixed up the paying customers but I hope that something will be done soon,

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Finels Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Mercman80 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?