cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing stuck when opening realm file

Syncing stuck when opening realm file

kofii12345
Explorer | Level 4

I noticed some bug and have reproduced it couple times:
When I open relm (database format) file in Realm Browser app and close the app the Dropbox is stuck in "syncing" without end and without file counter. Removing realm files does't help. I need to delete whole dropbox catalog.

Zrzut ekranu 2019-09-2 o 18.02.53.png
My realm file: realm file
Realm Browser app: apple link
I use MacOs.

8 Replies 8

Re: Syncing stuck when opening realm file

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @kofii12345,

Generally, we don't recommend users sync live databases with Dropbox. As most databases have remote access methods, you don't need to sync the live database and instead saved snapshots will sync with no issues.

The app most likely can't sync as most programs create a "file lock" on any file they're using. If this is the case, then can you try and fully quit the application used to open these files and see if that allows Dropbox to sync? 

You'll need to make sure that Dropbox is able to fully sync the file before trying to access it from another computer. Also, if you're sharing the data between computers, you must not run the application on more than one computer at once to avoid generating conflicted copies.

To clarify, the method you'd need to follow would be:

1. Let Dropbox sync your files completely and the sync status be "up to date".
  2. Start application used to edit the files.
  3. Edit and then save any changes to the files.
  4. Quit application and allow Dropbox to sync those changes.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tracy1T
New member | Level 2

I can open the Sync URL from the Realm Browser Mac Application and I see the changes happening fine in real time ttrockstars.

kofii12345
Explorer | Level 4

I use dropbox to save backup from one of my app only and open it just to see content without any changes.

I have recorded my bug:
Video of the bug

The only way to make it works again is to delete whole catalog and files and copy them again.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @kofii12345,

As can be seen from your video, the "realm" file is not updated (of course - not changed). The viewer usually generate two helper files with name as the database file with additional extension "lock" and "note" (i.e. like "*.realm.lock" and "*.realm.note"). Seems additional files are going to sync. Did you try remove them? (additional files should be in same directory as database file) :thinking:

May be better solution is: copy database file outside Dropbox directory tree, view it there and finally remove the copy, including any additional special files. :wink:

Hope this helps.

kofii12345
Explorer | Level 4

Removing those files helped 2 times now I get stuck again and red cross:

Coping outside is the best solution for now.

Здравко

Probably that's because the database file is in use and locked at that moment, so conflicts are encountered. Generally it's not good idea anyone helper file to be in sync. Unfortunately Dropbox don't provide filter mechanism yet. :disappointed_relieved:

kofii12345
Explorer | Level 4

Deleting all database and databes viewer files doesnt help now 😞

Здравко

Check for access permissions changes in Dropbox directory tree. (including owning and locking)

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?