cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System folders were renamed by Dropbox

System folders were renamed by Dropbox

kevin8er
Helpful | Level 5

Screenshot.jpgI installed Dropbox and then uninstalled it. I reinstalled it and then unstalled it again. Regardless of my reasons for doing so, my default windows folders are now named Dropbox(old). I am attaching screenshots of what I am talking about. How can I get my folders to be named without the Dropbox(old)?

22 Replies 22

Re: System folders were renamed by Dropbox

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @kevin8er; thanks for joining our Community!

It seems like you enabled the computer backup feature at some point on your computer and you didn't disable it prior to uninstalling our desktop app from your machine; please correct me if I got anything wrong here please. 

Could you try relocating those folders through the 'Location' tab (shown in your screenshot) and let me know if it did the trick for you?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kevin8er
Helpful | Level 5

I was able to change the Documents folder to the default location, but not my Downloads or Desktop. I get the following error:

The folder can't be moved here 

Can't redirect into reparse point, please choose a different target path.

I notice that when I look at the folders under my User, there are shortcuts to those 2 folders, but not folders themselves. 

See the 2 screenshots.Screenshot2.jpgScreenshot3.jpg

Walter
Dropboxer

And you tried manually moving those there or did you use the "Restore default" option, Kevin? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kevin8er
Helpful | Level 5

I've tried everything. Restore default, move files, find target. I think the problem is somehow related to the fact that in my user folder (if you look at the last screenshot), both Downloads and Desktop are now shortcuts to the folders in Dropbox (Old) folder. I tried to drag them from that folder into my users folder and I get that reparse point error.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for sticking with me on this one, Kevin. 

May I use the email address that's connected to your Community's profile to reach out in order to investigate further? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

kevin8er
Helpful | Level 5

Certainly

Walter
Dropboxer

I just sent you a ticket to look into this, Kevin.

Please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Thanks again for your patience and cooperation. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Pop Corn
Helpful | Level 5

I'm having the same issue. Can someone please help me (publically, so others can see the solution)?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Pop Corn, thanks for nudging us here. 

If you still have the desktop app installed, could you follow the steps mentioned in this article to turning computer backup off? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?