cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System tray icon doesn't have persistent name on Linux

System tray icon doesn't have persistent name on Linux

david64
Explorer | Level 4

The Linux system tray icon for Dropbox has the process name "dropbox-client-<PID>" (where <PID> is the current process id), which means that it has a different name every time Dropbox starts (including on every system boot). As a result, it's not possible to permanently change the behaviour of the icon on KDE Plasma (e.g. to always hide or always show the icon) - the settings will revert to default the next time the computer restarts.

Is it possible to make the process name just be "dropbox-client" or something similar, or is there another workaround for this issue? Google turns up a few suggestions for workarounds (e.g. see https://askubuntu.com/questions/1074535/how-to-permanently-hide-dropbox-icon-in-system-tray/ or https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/a51zbf/dropbox_system_tray_icon_keeps_reappearing_after/), but none of these work reliably.

6 Replies 6

Re: System tray icon doesn't have persistent name on Linux

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @david64; thanks for posting on our Community!

I'm not sure if this would do the trick, but have you tried  the "autostart' command through the CLI as outlined here?

Note that this command may only work on currently supported Ubuntu distributions though.

If this isn't what you're looking for, please elaborate on your query so we can advise further. 

Thanks a bunch, David 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

david64
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply. Dropbox does autostart already. What I want is to be able to hide the Dropbox icon from the system tray. I can do this by changing the setting for the icon to "Always hidden" in the system tray configuration dialog, which removes the icon from the system tray. However, when I restart the computer, the icon is back, and the setting has changed to "Shown when relevant" (which in the case of Dropbox seems to be the same as "Always shown"). There doesn't seem to be a way to make the change persistent.

Digging into this a bit further, it looks like KDE stores which icons to hide in .config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, which now contains the line:

hiddenItems=dropbox-client-1609

When I hide the icon again, the line changes to:

hiddenItems=dropbox-client-1609,dropbox-clident-1787

So the problem is that, for some reason, Dropbox has a different name every time it starts. KDE doesn't know what to do with the new instance because it thinks it's a completely different app.

Just realised I didn't provide version info in the original post, sorry:

Dropbox version: v110.4.458

Distro: Ubuntu 20.04 with KDE Plasma 5.18.5

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Haa, congratulation @david64,

I haven't been noticing that. 🧐 I haven't tried to hide the icon actually. You have just found out one more Dropbox application bug. I want be wrong here, but this will never be fixed. 😮🙁 Just some impressions. 😠

PS: If, "by mistake", some developer decides to take a look, just a clarification: The problem isn't in the application name - it's consistent. The problem is related to how the indicator gets actually created. Good example could be seen here. On the example 'APPINDICATOR_ID' is constant; in Dropbox it gets dynamically generated (whoever knows why 🤔). Isn't simpler it be a constant matching the application name?!

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information here, David. 

May I use the email address that's connected to your Community's profile in order to reach out in order to investigate further? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

david64
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, that's fine. Thanks!

Walter
Dropboxer

You've got mail, David :envelope: 

Talk soon! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?