cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Systray icon not showing in KDE Plasma 5.2

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
"Mark F. February 29, 2016 04:58

as of plasma 5.4 xmbed-sni-proxy has been merged into plasma so it no longer comes as a separate package.

As of plasma 5.4 there should be no problems with having the dropbox tray icon show."

I use manjaro so my plasma is up to date (currently 5.5), but still there is no dropbox icon. It looks as if that separate package worked well in this case, while being part of the whole system is not working. So instead progress we have regress... and no way go back. Earlier there were good workarounds, now nothing seems to work.

Dropbox works in background and updates files, but there is no icon indication nor even a desktop message about update or new files.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

@Michael D.
As I mentioned in my previous post, there is a regression in Dropbox 3.14.5 that is preventing the systray icon loading. It is a bug in dropbox's versoin of QT and nothing to do with xembed-sni-proxy

If you follow the link I provided there are a number of workarounds suggested, including . . .

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

if it doesn't work for you then try some of the other suggestions.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi, in OpenSuse: I removed libappindicator3-1 in yast and work

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

After trying lots of things in Debian & KDE, it worked with @Mark F. solution.

thanks!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I've got it to work under Archlinux. First of all uninstall Dropbox.

sudo pacman -Rsn dropbox

Delete User Config:

rm -Rf .dropbox*

Install libappindicator-gtk3 (I don't know if this is needed)

yaourt libappindicator-gtk3

Then install dropbox again. yaourt dropbox And now this was for me the important part. Don't start Dropbox now! Now we create a User Service.

systemctl --user edit dropbox

Fill the file with following:

[Service]
Environment=DISPLAY=:0

After this reboot the computer. After next login the Dropbox Wizard shows up and the Systray Icon is available.

Sources:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dropbox#Starting_on_boot_with_systemd

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Problem fixed itself on manjaro. Some updates restored the icon so it's good.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

For me in Manjaro linux KDE 15.12, i had this problem for a very long time. I uninstalled dropbox first and then cleaned up the .dropbox* files in the home. I installed dropbox again and it worked.

1. Uninstall dropbox

2. Cleanup .dropbox* from home using the command - rm -rf .dropbox*

3. Install dropbox again and the systray icon should work.

Note: I have libappindicator-gtk3 installed but im not sure if that even has an impact on the systray icon.

I followed the steps of @Benedikt W. Thanks a lot dude!! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Dropbox doesn't use libappindicator for most desktop environments. This is because some DE's use the older indicator technology. You can force it to do so using some environment variables. You can find some details here:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/198977/dropbox-tray-icon-doesnt-show-up-in-elementary-os-lun...

(You can also find similar instructions I've put together for ElementaryOS elsewhere if you dig around)

The long and short of it is that you need either a script that sets the following two environment variables or you need them in your .profile. The variables are:

DROPBOX_USE_LIBAPPINDICATOR=1

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity

From what I've seen, the second one is usually enough to make it work but the first one may force it as well. I haven't experimented enough to see which combinations work and don't.

Following the guide in the above link did work for me in Kubuntu 16.04.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I stopped having issues with dropbox icon a while ago. Either newer dropbox version or plasma (using 5.7.3 now) fixed it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Benedikt W3,works perfectly!At least on Kubuntu 20.04

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?