cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Taskbar Icon disappeared- KDE4 Linux

Riccardo1
New member | Level 1

If I remember correctly, just hover your mouse on the tray icon. It should tell you the version number in the pop-up.
Otherwise, something like "dropbox --version" in terminal should work.

JohnGeoffrey W.
Helpful | Level 5

And then it disappeared overnight, though dropbox kept running.

I've now got it back via the dbus-launch method, but it's easy to tell the two apart - the icons are coloured differently.

JohnGeoffrey W.
Helpful | Level 5

The dbus-launch method showed the icon but hung on "Starting".  after what seemed an interminable while, during which I tried restarting Dropbox several times, I relogged and the icon appeared again without me having to take action. It's a sightly different colour again, but once again it's hanging on "Starting".

This bears all the marks of panic updates being implemented.

Riccardo1
New member | Level 1

Did you check the release number? I can now confirm that you can easily read it in the popup that appears when you hover your mouse over the dropbox icon in the tray.

JohnGeoffrey W.
Helpful | Level 5

I no longer get any response when I hover the mouse over the dropbox icon, though I do with the other icons in the system tray.

Are other people getting the icon normally, without any intervention?

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

On Linux, some users get an unresponsive Dropbox tray icon, and many others no icon at all (for example no icon on Linux Mint KDE, still with the bug in Dropbox 3.20.1). The dbus-launch temporary workaround fixes both bugs but just for the current session.

JohnGeoffrey W.
Helpful | Level 5

That;s what I had, then the icon suddenly appeared without having to use the dbus-launch workaround. The icon was a  different colour (with a dark red background) than previously. Then this disappeared again and I had to use the dbus-launch workaround again. Then the icon appeared once more, again without using the dbus-launch workaround. That is now the situation. The icon has a brown background, but it does not respond when I hover the mouse over it.

I'm happy with this as long as it does not disappear again.

Vizzy
New member | Level 1

same silly problem here, buggy client doesnt show any icon in debian testing kde4.

but now syncing ~1tb .... and no access to gui.

this worked as normal user:

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

Mohamed H.11
New member | Level 1

for fedora users install type in konsole

dnf install nautilus or yum install nautilus

then create a link to dropbox let be in desktop for example

then open it with editor as root and just add sudo to this line

Exec=dropbox start -i 

so it should be like this:

Exec=sudo dropbox start -i

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

Mohamed, the very old and deprecated sudo workaround led to file ownership change/recovery inconveniences, as explained above (see February 25 post).

Please use the current and much better dbus-launch workaround instead, without those inconveniences.

Need more support?