cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Taskbar Icon disappeared- KDE4 Linux

Mohamed H.11
New member | Level 1

thanks Juan your method just works fine

Riccardo1
New member | Level 1

I can't believe this issue is still not fixed after more than 3 months.

Meanwhile version 3.12.6 (the latest non-bugged release) is going to expire tomorrow.

Not even an official wording by the dropbox team? It would at least be encouraging to know that they are working on it.

Thanks.

Mark F.21
New member | Level 1

@Riccardo
I imagine nothing has been heard from Dropbox regarding this issue because their official line has always been, "we do not officially support KDE"
Indeed, when I filed a bug report regarding this issue several months ago they acknoledged that they are aware of the issue and mentioned the workarounds already posted in this thread BUT . . . "we do not officially support KDE"

having said that . . . I no longer see the issue in plasma 5.6.x
Dropbox tray icon loads for me on boot every time now.

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

This is not just a KDE issue, but a Dropbox bug that seems to affect almost all Linux users since several months ago.

The bug has been reported on forums like this one and many others by users of the Linux distributions Fedora, Gentoo, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, openSUSE, Slackware, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, etc., and the desktop environments Cinnamon, KDE, Mate, Unity, Xfce, etc.

A few months ago I was replying several of them with a workaround, and at the same time writing down some of the many affected Linux distributions and desktop environments.

That temporary workaround seems to help in all cases for the current session.

Jo L.5
New member | Level 2

Jim B.4 a écrit :

This has fixed it for me. I use PCLinuxOS-KDE, and Tex came up with this solution.

Edit: in a text editor, as root or SU-  /usr/lib/dropbox-dist/dropboxd

Add the line below and comment out the line it is replacing

exec dbus-launch "$PAR/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.14.7/dropboxd" "$@"

reboot computer and the icon on the taskbar should appear in KDE. 

For the moment this is the best solution. The only exception is that for me (I'am runing under kubuntu 14.04), the file dropboxd is not located in /usr/lib but in ~/dropbox-dist and that it's not necessary to open it with root.

You can just right click and select "open with kate".

Concerning the line you have just to correct the already existing line by adding "dbus-launch" after "exec". You can't just copy past the line
exec dbus-launch "$PAR/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.14.7/dropboxd" "$@" because we all have a different version of dropbox.

The final point is that you don't have to restart the computer. You just need to open Konsole or yakuake and to type the 2 following line :

dropbox stop

dropbox start

So let's do a summary :

1) open the file ~/dropbox-dist/dropboxd

2) add dbus-launch just after exec

3) save the file

4) open a command line software and type the two following lines :

dropbox stop

dropbox start

That's all.

Jo L.5
New member | Level 2

Gustavo L.3 a écrit :

Hi,

I solved this problem by removing the .dropbox-dist directory in my home folder, then copying the good old 3.12.6 version which works fine and finally changing recursively the ownership of that directory to root:root to prevent the dropbox daemon to update to a newer non-working version.

HTH

I also tried this solution on 2 computers :

- in one of them there isn't any problem for the moment.

- in the other one, after half an our, a window of dropbox open to ask me to update dropbox. And dropbox isn't working if I don't do the update.

Need more support?