cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Taskbar Icon disappeared- KDE4 Linux

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am running PCLinuxOS- KDE4-4.1.13- 64bit. Today 10 Feb 16, the icon in the taskbar just disappeared on all my home machines. Dropbox is still running, but the icon is no longer in the taskbar. This would be on Dropbox version- 3.14.5-- the paid version of Dropbox.

I reinstalled and restarted the computer, the icon never starts. Dropbox is running.

65 Replies 65
Highlighted

Re: Taskbar Icon disappeared- KDE4 Linux

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same issue after upgrading from 3.12.x to 3.14.x. Running Ubuntu Linux 14.04 with KDE 4.13.3.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same issue on XFCE 4.12

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

same on xubuntu 15.10 (xfce 4.12)

edit: confirmed on two more boxes. the 3.12 to 3.14 causes this. probably the libqt update?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same after upgrading to 3.14

Linux 3.16.7-32-desktop / openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64) / KDE 4.14.9

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same for me on Mint KDE 17.1 (KDE 4.14). Dropbox version updated to 3.14.5.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

As the OP says, dropbox is running, desktop notifications work, syncing works, but there is no icon.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Im experiencing a similar issue on xubuntu 14.04. My icon now looks like this: https://gyazo.com/6bcf35d2448e9eb2328037a6d29ce5bf

Before the update dropbox pulled all of its icons from /usr/share/icons and displayed then correctly.

I also cannot open the applet ui that allows you to see currently syncing files, access preferences, etc. I tried a fresh install of both dropbox and xubuntu with the same results. i contacted the dropbox team about this issue. Full transcript: http://pastebin.com/fiEQ84cb

TLDR: "Please note that we're already aware of this problem and that Dropbox engineers are working on a solution while you're reading these words. However, we cannot provide a specific date in which the fix would be ready."

Despite making it very clear I already attempted a reinstall they then went into a lengthy explanation of how to do so, claiming "Some have managed resolution for this issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the Dropbox application."

As others have stated syncing still appears to work as before.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon or I may have to look into alternate services. The cli for dropbox leaves a lot to be desired and I dont appreciate using broken software I pay a subscription fee for.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi. I am experiencing the very same problem using Xubuntu 14.04 and xfce4, after updating Dropobx to  version 3.14.

My notebook, which still has 3.12, does not have this problem.

Can the automatic update feature be suspended till this problem is solved?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

In the meanwhile, until your engineers fix this bug, I would advise that through automatic updates you roll us back to a previous (working) release.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?