Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dropbox desktop application is trying to update itself

Richard_Adkins New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dropbox keeps trying to update itself, over and over. Not necessarily back to back, but every few minutes for no apparent reason. I'm currently running Windows 10 and Dropbox version 86.4.146

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox continually updating

Super User II
Super User II

You're several versions behind. Try to install the latest stable release, and see if you continue to have update issues with future releases.

Richard_Adkins New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I see that now, thank you. Now, if I could only get it to install. grrr.  It keeps giving me an error of  "Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0xa0430772.  I'll keep trying.

Lillies
Explorer | Level 4

87864582_648589235915703_4245126090315530240_n

I have this same issue. This popup appears every time I save or edit a file, and sometimes on its own.  It’s been like this for a few weeks and driving me insane. Dropbox is v 90.3.291 on Windows 10 Home Version 1809

I’ve tried updating dropbox several times with the regular installer as well as the offline installer. I always get this error:

dropbox installer failed with error 0x80004002
When I run the installation client as administrator.

When I do not run the dropbox installation as admin, it appears as if it gets intalled, but nothing happens.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Richard_Adkins, thanks for joining the Community!

Since you’re running a relatively older version, provided you’re not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, you might need to perform an advanced reinstall of the app to remove all traces of the older app first.

@Lillies, are you on a work device or a personal machine? If you install the app without admin permissions, then you won’t have access to Smart Sync and other features.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Lillies
Explorer | Level 4

I’m on a personal machine. I’m considering a clean re-install when there is a few days when I do not need my files immediately. Is there any way to preseve my selective sync options before/after doing a reinstallation, or do I have to make multiple screen shots and document everything before that?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If you’re doing a clean (or advanced) re-installation of the app, then you’ll need to take screenshots of the selective sync settings.

Currently, there isn’t an option to export them from the Dropbox desktop application.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?