cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dropbox installer failed to start

The Dropbox installer failed to start

Donna M.12
New member | Level 2

Hi, I've just restored my new laptop back to factory settings and have tried to reinstall dropbox but receive the message: the dropbox installer failed to start

I would have thought that there wouldn't be any legacy program files after a factory reset but I guess something is stopping it.  I originally had the dropbox folder on the second drive -X- inside the Sharepoint folder.  This drive wasn't affected by the restore but only held data - no program files.  

I've also renamed the original dropbox folder so as not to cause any problems during the setup.

I don't know how to fix this. Can you please help?

O/S: Windows 10

Thank you.

Donna

Update:

Ok, just found Dropbox listed in the Start processes, so I've disable it.

Also found it listed in the program list or Apps & Features in Settings.  Tried to uninstall but Windows says it can't find the program to uninstall it.

Still no luck

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: The dropbox installer failed to start

Donna M.12
New member | Level 2

Thanks Fiona,

I ended up having to re-store Windows for another reason and that fixed the problem.

I appreciate your help.

Donna

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Fiona
Dropboxer

Hey there @Donna M.12

Thanks for letting me know all the steps you have taken before restoring your laptop and how you had Dropbox set up on this computer. 

Renaming the Dropbox folder is not a good idea. The application cannot find the local Dropbox folder after you rename it. No worries though. I will help you fix this. :nerd:

The best way to go about this start fresh with an advanced reinstall. Please find the steps here.

Let me know how this goes. Looking forward to your next post. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Donna M.12
New member | Level 2

Thanks Fiona,

I ended up having to re-store Windows for another reason and that fixed the problem.

I appreciate your help.

Donna

View solution in original post

Fiona
Dropboxer

Happy to know the issue is solved @Donna M.12 :grin:

Have a lovely week! :white_check_mark:

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?