cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dropbox toolbar icon won't show the menu when right clicking. Why is that?

Highlighted

The Dropbox toolbar icon won't show the menu when right clicking. Why is that?

Explorer | Level 3

After installation, right-clicking on the dropbox icon in the toolbar, the menu will not appear. How can I fix it?

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Toolbar icon

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Markusfix, I hope you're well today!

Can you just clarify for me if you're clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray (Windows)/menu bar (Mac), rather than the app icon that appears in the task bar/dock?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you send me a screenshot of the Dropbox icon that you're right clicking?

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Daphne,

the problem is in the system tray icon:

SystemTray.png

Thank you for support.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot there @Markusfix!

Does the menu appear for you if you do a normal left click? 

If not, does hovering over the Dropbox icon show you the version of the app and sync status?

Should the icon be unresponsive to either, I would suggest reinstalling the app to see if that does the trick.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,
When move the mouse over the icon, the version of the software that is updated to date to version 107.4.443 appears, while if I right-click on it nothing happens, if I double click on it the application window opens. I installed Dropbox again but the problem has not been solved.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I see, thanks for checking on that @Markusfix.

If you did just a basic reinstall of the app, please try an advanced reinstall of the desktop app.

This will remove all previous settings and traces of the app, so that you can do a clean installation.

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,
I ran the clean installation of the application as you suggested, but the problem persists.
I have the feeling that it is due to something on my PC that it doesn't like.

If you don't have other suggestions I'll get over it and keep it that way.

Thank you for your kind support.
Best regards.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I would suggest making sure that you don't have any pending OS updates for your computer.

Reading back, I'm not 100% certain that we clarified this. When you just do a normal left click on the icon, are you still seeing nothing appear?

I see that you specified with a right click, but it would be expected that the window wouldn't open that way, as you just need to do a left click on the icon.

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

Besides the PC, with which I have the problem I'm exposing you, I have another one where the click, both with the right button and with the left button of the mouse, shows me the following menu:

Nuova immagine bitmap.png

Both PCs are updated to the last version of Windows 10 (2004 - build 19041.50, as well as to the last version of Dropbox (107.4.443) but, as I wrote you before in my e-mails, in the first one the menu described above is not displayed.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Markusfix, if you're referring to the context menu, then is no longer available with a normal right click, as that now works like a left click.

If you want to get the older version of the menu, hold the Ctrl button and then click the Dropbox icon with either mouse button to see the context menu options.

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?