cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The code execution cannot proceed because C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\78.4.119\MSVCP140.dl

The code execution cannot proceed because C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\78.4.119\MSVCP140.dl

bigbenbob
Explorer | Level 4

Upon computer startup, I get the following message:

The code execution cannot proceed because C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\78.4.119\MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

My goal is to get Dropbox up and running again.

The dll exists in the above path.  I tried to uninstall from Programs and features and by using C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\DropboxUninstaller.exe and all uninstall methods fail.  I followed the instructions in this article with no success:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Dropbox-failed-to-uninstall-desktop-version/td...

I moved all three MSVCP140.dll related file names (...140.dll, 140_1.dll, 140_2.dll) to a safe folder and did the offline install again (fresh DLLs had been installed).  No joy.  I renamed the "Dropbox" registry entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ to "Dropbox_old", restarted and same error message (plus a new Dropbox registry entry).  

My old Dropbox folder is still there but none of my files are synced.  

So I cannot uninstall, and an install update or offline install does not resolve the problem.  What should I do?  I am getting close to attempting a manual uninstall by deleting install files and registry entries.  Thanks, Ben

5 Replies 5

Re: The code execution cannot proceed because C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\78.4.119\MSVCP14

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @bigbenbob,

Can you try running the uninstaller.exe as an administrator by: 

1. Right-clicking DropboxUninstaller.exe
  2. Select Run as Administrator
  3. Enter the computer admin username and password when prompted.
  4. Follow the the steps in the uninstaller. 

If the uninstall is successful then you can follow with an advanced reinstall, the steps for this is outlined in our Help Center article here.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: The code execution cannot proceed because C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\78.4.119\MSVCP14

bigbenbob
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the quick reply, Daphne.  I did try running the DropBoxUninstaller.exe as admin.  It fails immediately at the same point on the progress bar.

Uninstall Fail.JPG

I also went into Task Mgr and stopped the Dropbox service prior to 'running as admin' the DropboxUninstaller.exe.  Still no joy.  Dropbox doesn't work and I can't uninstall.

I am willing to manually delete files and clear out registry entries if there is a clear list of all that needs to be done.

Cheers, Ben

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @bigbenbob,

To have a further look into this issue with uninstalling, would you mind if I reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile via our Support channel? 

If you already have a ticket open with our Support team then please feel free to let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) so that I can follow up there.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bigbenbob
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne, That would be much appreciated.  I have no ticket open.

Thanks, Ben

Daphne
Dropboxer

I've reached out to your email address @bigbenbob. Please just check your inbox when you have the time and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?