cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The desktop app is not starting and how I resolved it

The desktop app is not starting and how I resolved it

zedi
New member | Level 2

Dropbox is not starting!

<This computer isn't linked to an account> That was the message in Dropbox, Preferences, Account.

I spent couple days googling and trying to fix it. Turns out, all my old not existing any more OS installations Dropbox was counting as linked devices. I had 7 of them and you are allowed to have only 3. I unlinked 5 old devices—installations and problem was solved.

Maybe this post will help somebody silly like me.

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox is not starting!

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @zedi; thanks for joining the Community and happy Friday!

It sounds like you were hitting the device limit on a free, Basic account. 

As you found out, if you've previously connected more devices than 3 and you'd like to link a new device (or re-link a previously linked device), you must unlink all currently linked devices (down to less than three), and then you can link your new devices (up to 3). 

In any case, I'm glad you were able to resolve this and thanks for sharing this information with the rest of our Community. 

Let me know if you have anything else to add or ask; I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?