cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Sync stuck

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Nothing has synced for over a week now, and I leave it on with no sleep mode for days on end.

I have done the special character search -came up with nothing.

I have followed the instruction for mac users on this page: https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/stuck-syncing it did nothing.

I followed the terminal instructions, they did nothing.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  I have removed the dropbox folder in the library.  Nothing works.

What do I do next before fully moving over to Box (which works fine for me)?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have kind of the same problem here. I'm using it at my work. There's a secure connection and a Public one. The Private connection doesn't work since a month approximately, while the other one is working fine. They apparently didn't change anything in the firewall or anything else. Could it be possible that the problem is coming from a change in the protocols on the Dropbox servers?

Here's a detailed explanation of my problem and what I'm getting. I'm seeing that Dropbox is trying to connect but it not able to. It doesn't throw me any error message thought. When I'm closing it and reopening it, it's connecting fine, syncing my files, and then goes right back to that state where it tries to connect. The syncing is then not working anymore.

Thanks for helping us.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

@Jean-Christophe G. Same exact problem here for the past four days. DropBox...any help!?!?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

where do we get answers, I upload 3 gig files and they have been syncing for a week. It use to take less then an hour. Paying over 100.00 a year for this and cannot share files.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same thing here I get this: Can't sync "._Statistics.xlsx" (access denied) It works on my computer at work, but not my personal computer. My work computer is the most current OSX, but my personal is on Mavericks because of some software.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Uploads go about 2/3 of the way through and then stall. I'm doing 1.5-2 gig videos so to wait  that long and then have the system crap out is frustrating to say the least. Where is Dropbox support?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Where is Dropbox support?

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

SOLVED, for me at least: I went to dropbox.com and unlinked every device. Then I relinked my computer (in the blue dialog box that automatically opened upon killing the link to the computer). Things went crazy for about an hour--db popup on the tray reported 120,000+ files syncing. But after a while, the number started dropping fast. 

I then observed that it was stuck with 4 files, so I used Windows Explorer (not I.E.) to look for the folder that had the little blue circle with the minus sign on its lower left. It was a mysql folder that I didn't need to be in DB, so I moved it out and now all is fine.

You can Google "unlink and re-link to dropbox" but here are the steps:

1. on dropbox.com, click on the dropdown arrow to the right of your picture on the top right

2. choose Settings

3. Click on the Security tab

4. Scroll way down to the Devices list

5. Click on the x at the right of every device listed.

Unlinking doesn't remove your files from the site, it justs breaks the link, which you can re-establish immediately using the blue dialogue box that should open up.

(by hitting the x at the right of their names

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I had the same problem on my MAC.....it was syncing 581 files for days.  I used FINDER to see where the sync was stuck (shown by a light blue sync symbol).  I moved that folder to a non-dropbox location and the sync completed within minutes.  I beleive when the path is too long, Dropbox doesnt know how to correct it and it just hangs.  

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I know at least for me the previous post about file paths being too long turned out to be the problem. I have very current model macs and I uploaded gigs of stuff to dropbox like normal. Thats when the sync stall started with me. I had the indexing message for a week. I had to shut off dropbox to do anything cause it was burning through system resources like crazy. I started looking at posts to sort out the problem. I tried everything that has been posted with no success. I read the post above regarding pathway issues and took a look at how deep I had nested files. When I got to 5 folders deep for one file set I realized this might actually be the issue. I moved the folders and files I was trying to put up on dropbox onto an external storage drive. Once they all copied over and I confirmed they were there I deleted them from dropbox. I then shut it off and turned it back on. I had to leave for a rehearsal, but when I came back dropbox was current with a nice neat "up to date" status.

I had an easy time of it as I had not uploaded a large group of files in quite a while so I was able to identify and transfer all the files from the batch. For those who are having this problem I would strongly suggest this as a solution. I say this because I can recall times in the past where I could not update a file in dropbox because I had organized things and moved it too deep in the file structure making the path too long. This is definitely something that I would like to see dropbox address if it is the problem for most people. I use the ability to nest folders almost endlessly on my mac to keep my files and data well organized.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?