cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The desktop app on my Linux Mint isn't syncing

The desktop app on my Linux Mint isn't syncing

draylson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi. I'm using Dropbox on Linux Mint. It aways worked fine, but recently it stopped syncing. The icon in the notification bar shows "Syncing..." status, but I waited for days and it doesn't sync files  and doesn't change its status. I tryed reinstall Dropbox, deleting all configuration hidden files in the home directory and in the root Dropbox folder. It synced the files once and when I restarted the computer the problem started again. I think the problem started when my subscription expired. But I have renewed it last month.

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7

draylson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks! It worked for me! 🙂

draylson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi. I'm using Dropbox on Linux Mint. It aways worked fine, but recently it stopped syncing. The icon in the notification bar shows "Syncing..." status, but I waited for days and it doesn't sync files and doesn't change its status. I tryed reinstall Dropbox, deleting all configuration hidden files in the home directory and in the root Dropbox folder. It synced the files once and when I restarted the computer the problem started again. I think the problem started when my subscription expired. But I have renewed it last month.

I've already got a solution at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/The-desktop-app-on-my-Linux-Mint-isn-t.... But it worked only once. I just restarted the computer and the problem started again.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @draylson, thanks for checking in with us and sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this. 

I moved your post to your original thread to keep your queries on this consistent. 

I've also sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile due to account-specific info that's needed to have a more in-depth look into this. 

When you have the chance, check your inbox and we'll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

draylson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi,

While I was waiting for a proper solution by e-mail I've been studying the solution I got from @Здравко

I found out the command below is the one which worked temporarily:

sudo sysctl -w fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000

​Then, I found out more information about this fs.inotify.max_user_watches property at the following address:

According to the instructions in the page, the above command, in fact, sets the property temporarily. In order to get it permanently, the commands would be:
sudo sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000
sudo sysctl -p

I tried them and Dropbox is working fine on my computer until now. Even if I restarted it.

In summary, the problem is solved, but I'm really curious to know what exactly is this property and why Dropbox was not working fine until I set it with a higher number. Could someone explain to me?

Anyway, thank you very much for all attention and assistance.

Kind regards,
Draylson

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @draylson,

Waw... That's little bit strange (might be not so little bit). Seems, your 'sysctl' command behave unusually. That what you have done is exactly for temporary set (not permanent)! The same is noted in the link you refer to. Anyway... while works for you everything is Ok. :wink:

Dropbox tries follow every one event for file/folder in the Dropbox folder using FS entry' watches (something like hooks or callbacks, if I can say so) for every one entry (file or folder). Usually such way, something to be followed, isn't widely used; typically one program follows few files of interest if and when needed. That's why, in mind restricting engagement of unneeded resources, maximal number of usable watches per user gets restricted. By default - few thousand, which could be changed (temporarily or permanently) if needed. If your files and directories are more than these watches, Dropbox couldn't follow some of. There are more appropriate ways, without using watches for FS entries - without falling in resources limitation, but for some reason, Dropbox refuses change the way application works. Don't ask me why. That's where the issue comes from.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

draylson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you very much @Здравко!

Need more support?